Chapter 9 : The Show Is On!

One would find the B&B office bizarre in the coming days. Walking into the office, the furniture consisted of desks, chairs and... mattresses?

Had this been any other month, Maya would have fired the employees that were sound asleep on their keyboards. [That was a lie — she would've asked Alia to fire them.] Instead, she switched the lights off to make them comfortable.

[ Earlier this month. ]

The Spring collection that took them 4 months was lost due to Vincent, and the launch was only a month away! Everyone was under great pressure to produce, design and manufacture a whole collection in the timespan of only thirty days.

The employees had suggested shifting into the office, to work tirelessly from the crack of dawn till the gloomy hours of the night. That explained the mattresses that littered the office.

Surprisingly, Maya didn't need to pressurize her staff. They were already working efficiently and gave in a lot of effort, sometimes too much effort. Some of them would actually collapse on their desks from exhaustion as sleep took over.

The employees were surviving on coffee; eating hurriedly to spend more time on work. Tapping away endlessly on the keyboard, attending to tons of phone calls, avoided chatter and rubbing their tired eyes. Once in a while a long, fatigued sigh was exhaled. A silent prayer muttered here and there.

The major suppliers got the finest material delivered to B&B on very short notice — no wonder Alia trusted Effendi Manufacturers for quality and efficiency.

"We made it!" Zoya exclaimed, jumping with joy.

The collection was ready!

Now arrangements had to be made; of an immaculate hall, the installation of a runway, models, clothing, invites and more. It was nothing the trio couldn't handle.

[ A day before. ]

Nothing could compare to everyone's anxiety that day. Hearts drumming in their chests, adrenaline rushing through their veins, their thoughts threatening to cross the speed limit, even the air seemed to take on that vibe. It was thick with distress too— the tension was so suffocating that the air conditioners were turned on to their highest. Yet it seemed to make no difference.

"I said WHITE LIGHTS!"

Maya had to shout vigorously as her voice kept being drowned among the loud chattering. Her head felt like it would explode any second, the hurried frenzy was too much for her; too much for everyone. But it had to be that way for the show to be flawless.

A sea of clothes covered the wooden floor in the dressing room — perks of having many designers collaborating with your shoe brand. Elegant, slender-yet-powerful women busied themselves in trying on various shoes and clothing.

Maya had conflicting views on some dresses. They were rather odd for her taste. She made a mental note to mention it to the designers.

Fashion was weird, she supposed. You dressed up someone in newspaper pants and a torn shirt.. and BAM it was fashion. What a weird world. She wasn't sure if the dresses would be a success, however she had unshakeable faith in her shoes.

She watched Alia carefully handing shoes to the models. Just the mere sight of the shoes filled her with happiness and without knowing, Maya began to smile amidst the chaos in the dressing room.

"Someone seems to be at ease," Alia commented.

Maya nodded, motioning at the high heels in Alia's hands. Alia gave a knowing smile.

"I know, bewitching beauties, aren't they?"

A hand rested on Maya's shoulder.

"What are we- aaaaaah!" Zoya screamed.