Chapter 1 : Your Only Limit Is You

"Everyday, the rise of the sun; and the rays of light, bring new hope and a fresh motivation to live your life to the fullest."

The irritating buzz of Maya Burlas' alarm woke her up. 7.30 AM it read, and just as she was about to press the snooze button, her eyes fell upon her roommate.

Eyes tightly shut, brown hair spread across her pillow, lightly snoring; was the other half of Maya's heart, Alia Baig. Maya tilted her head, admiring Alia's peaceful state for a few moments before deciding to  wake her up.

"Alia! Wake up, you sleepy head! Or else you're driving yourself to the office today," Maya threatened.

Alia squirmed, replying sleepily, "Ah, please let me sleep. Just five more minutes.. don't you love me?" with that, she dozed off.

Maya looked at her and sighed, deciding to give her a few more minutes to seize her slumber.

Maya walked towards the window before she drew open the curtains, taking in the wet scent that usually came after rain.

'Sydney, you're beautiful!' she thought.

A smile played along her lips, as she thought about how content she was with her life. Quickly whispering a "Thank you" to her Lord, she drifted into her thoughts.

[ Flashback ]

On call~

"Aunty Shahista, I'm also shifting to Australia in a month, Alia and I will be safe together," Maya assured.

Shahista Baig still sounded a little unsure but she desisted, "I know beta, par maa ka dil hai na, bechain hi rehta hai."

[ I know, daughter, but a mother's heart always stays worried. ]

Her voice cracked a little, so Maya quickly added, "Aunty, we were together from school till university and now we want to shift to Sydney to pursue our career."

She agreed, "theek hai beta jesi tum bachon ki marzi.. meri Alia ka khayal rakhna."

[ Okay, dear, whatever you kids wish. Take care of my Alia. ]

Maya, jumped with excitement and thanked Shahista.

"You're welcome, God bless you Maya!"

[ End flashback ]

Her trance  was broken by Alia's voice, who was now pulling the blanket over her head while pleading, "Please parde lagao!"

[ Please draw the curtains! ]

Maya refused neatly, with a shake of her head and a smirk pulling at her lips.

Alia finally gave in — how she usually did every morning, envying Maya's perfect sleep schedule.

Alia and Maya were inseparable. Life had been harsh to them, separating them and then choosing to re-unite them. Nevertheless, the bond they had was much stronger than any adversity that threatened to keep them apart. Physical distance never mattered to them, for they lived in each other's hearts. Maya believed that one of the greatest things God had ever given her was friendship.

As Alia dragged herself to the bathroom, Maya made her way to the kitchen to hydrate before hitting the gym.

-

Silence prevailed. The gym was empty with the exception for Alia and Maya, who were involved in a vigorous workout.

A girl entered wearing a Nike tracksuit; the one and only Zoya Malik. Also known as Scarlet by her closest friends. Rushing towards the mirror, she gasped loudly.

The duo ran towards her, only to find her staring at herself in the full length mirror.

"Guys, I look sooo slim!" She beamed.

'Dramaybaaz!' Maya thought; while Alia face palmed. Scarlet had always been slim. Scarlet grinned sheepishly at their glares.

[ Drama queen! ]

"Hey Scarlet! You look hot, girl." Maya broke the silence.

"Tell me something I don't know," sarcasm evident in her words.

Alia chuckled.

"As always, you're late!" Alia complained.

"Ummm, it was.. uhhh, because of the traffic! Yup, Sydney traffic I tell ya, isse behtar toh mai apni jet khareed lun na!" She tsk tsked, faking her excuse.

[ Buying my own jet would be better than this, no? ]

Maya and Alia knew better, she had used this excuse for the hundredth time! Maya rolled her eyes as they all burst into laughter.

As a ritual, all three would have breakfast at Maya and Alia's shared place, and leave for office together since they worked in the same company.

Breakfast today was black coffee, sausages, French omelettes, toasted bread and some pancakes exclusively for Scarlet made by Maya. Scarlet frowned at her pile of pancakes.

"Where's my smile?" She asked, pouting, as she took whipped cream and added it to the top of the pancake.

Alia and Maya laughed at her behaviour.

'I can't believe she's nikkafied, cause she still acts like a child!' Maya smiled at her.

[ I can't believe she's officially married! ]

After breakfast, they dressed in their formal wear, since that was usually what they wore to work.

Maya stepped out of her walk-in closet. A grey knee-length coat lightly hugged her figure, a golden belt accentuating her slim waist. Her white pants flared at the ankles, matching the shirt she wore underneath the coat. Her white heels added the extra elegance, while the neatly wrapped white hijab around her head completed her outfit. Maya checked on the others.

Alia was waiting in the living room, standing beautiful and confident in her white undershirt, a pink blazer casually  on her shoulders, matching her straight pants. She was wearing her favourite sneakers, along with a black hijab to contrast her outfit.

"We're going to be late!" Scarlet screamed, rushing into the room.

She looked amazing in denim pants and a maroon shirt that complimented her skin. A leather jacket hung off her shoulders, and heeled boots adorned her feet. A burgundy hijab was draped over her head, covering her luscious hair.

"Look who's talking," Maya mocked with an annoyed look, which was soon washed away after seeing Zoya's embarrassed smile.

Alia grabbed the keys and they were off to their workplace.