Chapter 6: Accusation!

The phone call from Marcus struck Maya like thunder; her breathing intensified as tears blurred her vision. Her heart wasn't ready to believe what she had heard.

Feeling lightheaded, she leaned against the wall, taking support; until she composed herself. Grabbing the car keys, she rushed to the police station.

The ride to the police station was just a few miles away but it seemed to be a never-ending road to her. No matter what, she couldn't fathom the news.

"No no no no no no, God dammit! How can this be!"

Frustrated, she banged her fists against the steering wheel; trying to silence the thoughts running endlessly through her mind, tiring her.

"Marcus, on what basis do you justify your claim?" she demanded, as she barged into his office.

"Maya, calm down, I know it's hard to hear, but as I told you, the evidence is against her." He explained.

Reaching into his drawer, he took out the CD of their office CCTV, and played it on his laptop. A dark figure entered Alia's cabin and reached out for her USB which contained the designs. The figure was covered, hence none of the features were clear which made Maya sigh in relief, but soon anger blossomed in her mind.

"How on earth do you think it's Mahira? The figure is clearly covered up!" she questioned.

Marcus paused and zoomed only to reveal a slightly blurred accessory, answering Maya's question.

Maya's eyes widened, seeing the familiar bracelet on the figure's hand.
The bracelet only Mahira and Maya had, symbolizing their relation.

"That day, on Mahira's birthday, when I came to your house, I saw this bracelet on Mahira's hand. I asked her about it and she told me that it was a customized bracelet that you gifted her. Plus, Mahira is Alia's personal assistant. The only person to know where the designs were saved." He sighed heavily. "Additionally, only she and Alia would have the keys to Alia's cabin."

"Marcus, this is sensitive. I will talk to Mahira, but till, tuhen I need you to keep this information confidential."

He nodded.

As she stepped out of her car, news reporters swarmed her.

"Is it true that your designs of the spring collection have been leaked?" One of the reporters spoke only to be inturrupted by others bombarding Maya with questions.

"Are youu ashamed of your employees for not being able to protect their work?"

"Do you think it's Mahira as all the evidence is against her?"

All the questions went unnoticed but the last one caught her attention. How did this information get leaked? Marcus couldn't have possibly leaked it!

Hussein pushed the media representatives away clearing Maya's way, while all the employees stood glaring at Mahira with millions of doubts and accusations in their eyes.

"Mahira come to my office immediately."

Mahira, still confused, ran towards Maya's office. Alia and Zoya followed.

"Mahira, I want to hear it from you." Maya said calmly.

Mahira on the other hand, begged her to believe that there was no possibility of this being true — that she was loyal to B&B. Alia suggested Mahira take a few days off till this matter was sorted out and not to step out of her house as she would have to deal with media.

Maya hugged her and whispered something that made Mahira relieved.

"I trust you! Don't worry, I will prove your innocence."

Alia and Zoya might have, for a second, believed that Mahira was the culprit after seeing the evidence but Maya couldn't doubt her. She was sure that her Mahira wouldn't even think of betraying her.