Chapter Twenty One: The Choices of the Choiceless

Start from the beginning

Piqued because that wasn’t an answer I was expecting from him at all—not after all these years of having lived the high life—I kept going. “And what is it that you’re looking for then?”

“I want a big farm house with an ice rink in the back, just like we did back home. I want to be married to  the pretty girl-next-door who likes it simple, just like I do. I want a few children—boys, girls, doesn’t matter as long they don’t mind playing some hockey with me. I want a quiet, laid-back kind of life away from the spotlight.”

Alex must’ve really given this some serious thought because his expression was pensive and intent as he was speaking. When he noticed me staring, probably with some mild surprise obvious on my face, he laughed sheepishly and blushed.

“I should probably shut up now before I terrify you away with all this talk of marriage and kids,” he said with a shake of his head. “That’s just the dream, Max. Right now, I’ve got other things I still have to do.”

Not so long ago, I may have had a very similar dream as Alex—a life that was slow and quiet and simple. Nothing in my life had been simple recently and that made me appreciate the idea more.

I gave his arm a light squeeze. “It’s a good dream, Alex. And it’s nice to know that you have plans with your life when it’s so easy for someone in your line of work to get lost in the fast lane and the bright lights.”

Alex nodded. “I’ve been incredibly lucky with the opportunities that came my way but I always try not to lose sight of what I’ve always wanted. It’s definitely not easy but I’m going to try my damnedest.”

I grinned because he looked pretty adorable with that fiercely serious expression on his face. Alex was a nice guy but he was a very by-the-books kind of person. Always walked a straight line. Always did the right thing. Didn’t fool around. 

Not like someone else I know.

“If the furniture shopping turns out well this afternoon, then at least you can count on me to help furnish your farm house when the time comes. I grew up in one so I have lots of ideas,” I said with a wink and slipped into the passenger seat after he broke out into grin as well.

Alex might like it laid-back but he liked quality so we hit up the most prominent home furnishing store in the city. He was wearing a baseball cap and a plain shirt and jeans but some of the staff easily recognized him and caused a small fuss. Cities loved their sports and their local teams were always superstars in their eyes. Alex signed a few autographs and had a few pictures taken (which I happily took) but I thought that if the attention heightened, he was probably going to bolt. Thankfully, after some of the staff were able to pull themselves together, they left us alone except for the sales associate (who really seemed more like the store manager) who was guiding us through the floor models.

“I thought it was going to be a little weird with you being famous and all but it’s not bad, Alex. Not bad at all,” I teased him as we stretched out on a California king bed to test the sheer size of it.

The sales associate wandered off somewhere to check their stock in the back for other mattress options that he would happily haul out for Alex’s convenient viewing.

Alex smiled and flung his arms out to the side to try to encompass the width of the bed, his right one extending just past the top of my head. His hand dipped and ruffled my hair slightly. “I’m only famous to the sports fans, Max. But I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself. The attention’s mostly on me but they’ll be curious as to who you are.”

I wrinkled my nose. “I’m just an old friend you knew from back home. I’m not very interesting so I don’t think they’ll care about me.”

Alex rolled to his stomach which brought him several inches closer to me. “They might already care about who you are and why you’re seen hanging out with me.”