ᴘᴛ. 10 - ᴄʀᴇᴡ

Start from the beginning

"How much you paying her, Tim?"

Lucas? You've gotta be kidding me.

Timmy turned around to face him.

"I'm not paying her anything, Lucas."

Lucas stood high above him, broad and quite honestly, frightening.

He leaned against the locker beside Timmy, making sure to stay close.

"That little tease is the prettiest girl in school, you can't tell me you didn't bribe her," he chewed his bubblegum loudly, smacking his lips.

"Her name is Amber," Timmy crossed his arms and stood stiffly. "Did Jake send you here to scare me?"

"Oh I see, you're playing tough guy now?" He grunted.

"No one here is a tough guy... we're theater kids," Timmy snapped.

"Doesn't mean there aren't weak links," Lucas leaned his head down. "I wouldn't start with her, she's flirtatious. Amber doesn't like anyone. She just likes the chase."

"She's— Amber isn't like that," Timmy defended.

"Don't want what you can't have."

Well, plenty of people seem to want her.

"We're just friends, I don't need you to watch over me. Jake does it enough."

"I'm not watching over you," Lucas started to walk away. "I'm just warning you. See you around, Chalamet."

Timmy stood there silently, watching Lucas's figure fade down the hallway. Lucas bothered him all the time, a constant reminder that he would never be good enough to get the lead in a school play, he'd never be attractive enough to get a girlfriend, and he'd never be cool enough to be close with Jake again.

At least that's what he thought.

-

Amber narrowed her eyes as she painted a skyline across the top of her newest set-piece, making sure everything was absolutely perfect.

Much to her dismay, Timmy had not come around yet. Her lonesome in the back room of the auditorium was getting so bad that even Jake would be better than nothing.

At least she could focus.

She hummed a tune through her lips, the same song she had sang to Timmy the day before.

It had been a few hours of nothing but painting. As much as Amber loved it, the sound of brush strokes eventually became the source of head-spinning boredom.

A soft knock vibrated through the open door.

"Hey," Timmy's beaming face was visible from the corner. "Can I come in?"

Amber eagerly nodded her head, motioning for him to come sit down next to her.

"How's rehearsal treating you?" She leaned her head on his shoulder.

"It's been fine. I just can't stand the cast ganging up on people," he sighed.

"I still can't believe Lucas got the lead. Miles is a million times better than him and somehow ended up the understudy."

"Miles is a senior, too. Lucas is our age."

"God. Screw Lucas," Amber scoffed.

"Definitely," Timmy couldn't help but think of Lucas's chat with him earlier.

"You excited for tomorrow?" Her eyes lit up.

"More than you know," the butterflies in his stomach fluttered.

"Timothée!" A voice bellowed from afar.

"Well... I guess I have to go," Timmy frowned.

Amber squeezed his hand. "I'm leaving early today, so I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Jake wants to come get you around one."

"Perfect," he remained optimistic.

Amber waved goodbye, and with that, he was out the door.

One o'clock tomorrow can't come soon enough... he already couldn't wait to see her face again.