Chapter Eight- I Feel Like You're Letting Go

BOOM! The sound that woke you and Prince was that of a slamming door. Both your heads popped up in confusion while looking around the hospital room in confusion. The nurse that was once in your room was standing over you and Prince with a look of shock.

 “Sun, how did you get in here?” the nurse asked loudly.

You looked down at Prince’s eyes, which were fighting to stay open, he was clearly tired and drained still. You smiled gently at his sleeping face but then got out the bed to talk to the nurse.

 “I got nervous about him last night; I just wanted to check on him.” You whispered, peeking in Prince’s direction to make sure he was back asleep.

The nurse looked at Prince and then you cautiously.

“It’s none of my business but… are you and him sexually active?!” she mumbled uncomfortably.

“WHAT, NO! He’s my best friend! I w-would never have sex with him!” you yelled, almost a little too loud.

The nurse put up her hand, signaling for you to lower your voice and then spoke,

“Look, I don’t know you guys’ full story or anything but I think your relationship between each other is a little more than just a simple friendship…”

You looked back at Prince as he silently slept and then looked back at the nurse in confusion.

“What do you mean?” you asked shifting your weight and leaning in to hear what she had to say.

“The way you look at him, it’s obvious that you have feelings for him.” The nurse explained cracking a smile. You simply rolled your eyes and looked out the window.

“Love doesn’t come around often, trust me. If you love someone you should tell them…life is short. If you don’t express your love for him, then someone else will.” She replied silently, handing you his medical papers. They read that he would be able to get out the hospital in two days.

“He’s just my friend.” You whispered before the nurse grabbed the door handle.

She nodded her head and whispered back,

“You can’t control who you love. It’s just destiny.”

And with that she closed the door, leaving you alone with Prince.

“Sun, what’s going on?” Prince mumbled half asleep.

“Nothing Prince…” you murmured laying down next to him again. After only two or three seconds Prince was completely back to sleep as if nothing had happened.

“Nothing at all.” You mumbled to yourself pushing back a curl on Prince’s face.

Two people in love, alone, isolated from the world, that's beautiful.

*

Six Months Later…

You sat on the stoop, waiting for Prince to arrive. It was getting late and although he had told you not to, you were worried.

A bright pink paper was hanging on the front door behind you notifying that the abandoned building you and Prince were living in was about to be knocked down for construction work. You were almost as if expecting this, the governor wasn’t going to let some random, old building stay up when could possibly be knocked down for more room.

You had talked and stressed about this change to Prince a thousand times but he always told you not to worry, “we’ll be safe…we always are.” He always said. Prince was becoming more relaxed and isolated every day and it was beginning to worry you. Prince had gone back to selling drugs for the money and he had even begun using some of them. Weed was his drug of choice at this point and it would always worry you when he got high. He would push back his hair and shut his eyes and just disconnect…from the problems, the world…even you.

The air was cold and chilling when Prince finally came slugging over. When he noticed you snuggling into your light sweater he fast walked over to you.

“Sun, what are you doing out here, I told you to stay inside until I got back from the deal.” Prince said loudly, holding you closely as he escorted you into the building.

“I k-know, but I got nervous. It’s like one o clock in the morning…”

Prince sighed and rubbed his head frustratingly, his eyes were blood shot and droopy; he was clearly high.

“Sun can you please just listen to me and stay inside when I tell you to. I work out here on these streets so I know how dangerous things are out here. You’re not strong enough to fight off a group of guys if they try and rape you or some shit!” Prince ranted pacing the room.

“Well I was worried! Plus I hate sitting up in this building alone while you’re gone. I have no one to talk to and there’s always rats and roaches everywhere!” you shouted back angrily.

“Not to mention you’re out smoking blunts and having fun while I’m locked up in this dark ass apartment!” you added getting up in his face.

“Oh so you think that selling drugs is fun? You think having to deal with crack heads, selfish rich kids, and raunchy whores are fun?” Prince yelled back rolling his eyes.

“That’s not what I mean Prince!! I just think you keep me locked up too much!”

“Well I’m trying to keep you safe Sun! You and I both know you can’t survive in those streets without me!” Prince shouted, almost making the walls shake.

“I can do whatever the fuck I want, you’re not my dad!” you screamed back, beginning to pick up some of your clothes and possessions.

“What are doing? Where are you going?” Prince asked as you paced back and forth in the building picking up your clothes.

“I’m leaving.” You simply replied back continuing to grab things.

“You have nowhere else to go.” Prince said lowering his voice.

“I don’t care! I’ll find a place to go; maybe I’ll become a prostitute or something! There would you like that?” you asked stuffing all your stuff in a black trash bag and heading for the door.  

Prince bit his lip trying not laugh at your extreme anger and looked down.

“Okay Sun, go if you want.” He replied sitting on the floor. “You’re right I can’t control you.”

You stopped dead in your tracks and looked back at Prince in surprise. You were expecting him to at least try and stop you, or talk you out of going but instead he just sat down and relaxed.

You felt your eyes beginning to fill with tears as Prince simply stared back at you with a smug smile.

“Fine, I’m leaving!” you shouted back trying to fight back the tears. You walked out the door, slamming it behind you.

Prince giggled lowly to himself and began to count

“5, 4, 3, 2…”

The door came swinging open as you stood there with tears soaking your face.

“Prince why didn’t you come after me or try and stop me!” you exclaimed throwing your bag on the floor.

Prince laughed and got up, picking up the black bag and putting it down next to the mattress.

“Why are you laughing!”

“I knew you were going to come back Sun. If I thought you were serious I would’ve stopped you.” He explained hugging you tightly.

You hugged back as tears dropped onto his baggy shirt.

“I wouldn’t let you just walk out my life like that, you’re all I have.” Prince whispered through laughter but in all actuality he meant it. His smile slowly dropped as he held onto you, squeezing you extremely tight as if this was the last time he would see you in a long time.

But he wasn’t aware of how true this would soon be.

*