P R O L O G U E

1978

NARCISSA MALFOY pulled her traveling cloak closer to her body, as the cold autumn air hit her. She shuddered, and then swallowed thickly; attempting to calm her nerves.

Narcissa loved her husband. That was true. However she was questioning if she could do this.

Just like her sister Bellatrix, could Narcissa sit happily at the right hand of the dark lord? Could she be his little errand girl and kill without feeling remorse?

Her question was soon answered as screams echoed from inside the home. Narcissa heard her sister cackle, and once more she felt a chill run down her spine.

Narcissa Malfoy chose to stay outside and keep watch for aurors when her husband and sister were given orders to kill. She always did.

The family in question was a large pure blood family that were declared blood traitors, when they announced they would have nothing to do with the other pure blood families or the dark lord. It was a large family, they had 5 children, all of them over the age of 7. Or so the death eaters had thought. The plan was to murder the entire family.

Narcissa was lost in numb thought as the screams continued. Bella was clearly having too much fun with this assignment.

However she jumped when she heard the faint cry of an infant. Her years of longing to be a mother, and one miscarriage, kicked in immediately. Listening to the crying continue, Narcissa slipped into the house without thinking twice.

In the living area stood her husband and her sister, the later taunting the family as they barley held onto life. The woman quickly averted her eyes, unable to look at the dying children and parents.

Narcissa now had a mission though; something inside telling her that she needed to get to this child. Neither her husband or sister noticed her slip upstairs in search of the crying child.

Her heart raced and she held her wand aloft in the darkness, a light shinning on the quaint home.

Narcissa stopped at the door the crying was coming from. She quickly prayed that the child was unharmed; because she wouldn't be able to bear the sight of it. Then, she slowly pushed the door open.

Narcissa certainly didn't expect to be faced with almost every item in the room flying through the air. Toys, books, stuffed animals, even diapers flew across the room.

But the chaos stopped as Narcissa crossed the room, to the crib in the corner. A child that looked to be only a few months old gazed up at her. The baby's emerald eyes looked into her steel grey ones.

Her eyes widened and she felt her heart screaming to pick up the child. Slowly and carefully, she reached down and picked up the baby. The crying ceased as the child looked up at her.

For the first time since her wedding, Narcissa smiled.

The child was a girl, Narcissa soon realized. It had platinum blonde hair, like herself.

The baby girl clutched Narcissa's cloak as another scream was heard. She began to whimper, on the verge of crying once more.

Narcissa instinctively began to rock the child from side to side, softly shushing it.

And she knew in that moment, no one was going to take this child from her.