6 ; letters from lucius

ACT ONE
scene six
LETTERS FROM LUCIUS
☆ ☆ ☆

MUCH TO CASSIE'S disdain, the Weasley twins trailed after her as she made her way to the hospital wing. She needed Madam Pomfrey to fix her nose bone really quickly, so she could get to Draco before he spiraled too far.

Cassie knew the spell to mend smaller bones but she wasn't very confident in her bone-repairing abilities. She assumed it would be safer to let the witch take care of it.

"Malfoy, just tell us what that was!" George pleaded from behind her.

"Bugger off, Weasley." Cassie shot back.

The truth was, Cassie had no idea what happened before Filch rounded the corner. All she can remember is her body filling with rage and then watching herself lower the twins back to the ground.

"We will once you tell us what happened, swear on it." Fred said.

When Cassie didn't respond, George added on, "We won't leave you alone until you tell us!"

Cassie wanted to put her fist through his face. She wanted to throw large rocks at his head. She wanted to tackle him to the ground right then and there, but the blood coming from her nose was kinda distracting.

In her opinion, George had always been the most obnoxious of the two, at least to her. To be fair, both of them were insufferable as it was but George's existence simply made her want to scream.

Cassie was so fed up with the two though, that she caved, knowing it would get them off her back.

"Fine!" She exclaimed, turning to face them as she reached the door to the hospital wing. "I will tell you right after Madam Pomfrey fixes my nose, as long as you will just bugger off afterward!"

They both raised their hands in defeat and backed up. "We'll leave you alone after." Fred said.

Cassie knocked on the door with a frustrated sigh.

Madam Pomfrey thankfully didn't ask any questions as to why Cassie's nose was snapped like a twig. She fixed it quickly, and Cassie thanked her multiple times.

The girl walked back out into the corridor, and to her disappointment, the twins were still waiting there expectantly. She glanced at them, and then started walking in the direction of the dungeons without a word.

"Uh, Malfoy?" George called, as the two ran to catch up with her. Both of them fell into walking at her side and Cassie grumbled.

"I don't know exactly what happened," She admitted.

"Bullshit." Fred said.

"I don't know what happened!" Cassie yelled. "George pissed me off and everything kinda went dark after that!"

The twins both stared down at her, looking at the girl in complete confusion. There was no way in hell that Cassie was going to explain her issue to them when absolutely no one else knew about it.

"A week ago, in defense..." Fred began gently. "You resisted the imperius curse..."

"Yeah, how did you do that?" George asked.

"Don't know." Cassie shrugged. "It just didn't work on me, I suppose."

The twins shared a glance. Truth be told, neither one of them believed a word that came out of her mouth. She was a Malfoy, after all.

"Can you bugger off now?" She asked.

"But you've gotta know how you did that." George pressed on with a frown. "Did your father teach you that or something?"

Anger grew in Cassie again, and the twins noticed the lights above them flicker rapidly. Her fists clenched at her sides.

"What is that supposed to mean, Weasley?" She snapped.

Fred shook his head at George, telling him to just drop it. George did not pay attention to him though.

"I am sure your father has taught you quite a bit of dark magic, Malfoy. Whatever you did to us wasn't normal, and I-"

Cassie stopped abruptly and turned to face him. As his eyes bore into hers, George could see them turning a darker shade of green once more.

"Keep talking or walk away, Weasley, your choice. I have no problem with earning myself a few more weeks detention." She threatened.

Cassie could see the fear in George's eyes as he said, "We'd best be going Freddie, I forgot every Malfoy walks around with a stick up their arse."

Fred was too focused on the lights above them that were now flickering violently. George grabbed Fred's arm and stomped away.

Cassie was shaking with rage when she reached the common room. She stopped in the empty common room to compose herself, knowing she would need to be calm in order to help Draco. That was if he was still even here.

The girl took deep breaths as her heart rate began to slow down. Her fists unclenched, and her muscles relaxed. Cassie let out a deep sigh, and then pulled herself up and marched up the stairs to Draco's dorm room.

Cassie knocked on the door gently.

"Draco?" She called. "It's me."

No response. Cassie nocked again.

"Draco let me in."

When there was no response once again, Cassie pushed the door open. The room was empty.

The girl walked over to Draco's bed where there was an unfolded letter. Cassie felt anxiety shoot through her heart when she saw her father's handwriting. A letter from their father was never a good thing to receive. She picked it up and began reading.

Dear Draco,

It has been brought to my attention by one of your professors that your grades for the beginning of this term are lower than usual. Specifically in potions class, which you share with the Gryffindors.

For you to have lower grades than the mudblood girl is embarrassing to the family name.

You will do better or I will be traveling to Hogwarts to have a conversation with you myself.

- Lucius

Cassie swallowed thickly. She was sure Draco wasn't really doing that bad, his grades were just lower than Hermoine's. Their father checked up on their grades at least every two weeks. It wasn't a normal thing for students parents to do, but Lucius demanded that their professors owl him with updates.

She'd gotten this same letter before, and it had shaken her to her core. Her father was brilliant with scare tactics for his children.

Cassie stuffed the letter in a book and left the common room. Her mind began racing, trying to think of where Draco could possibly be. She prayed to herself that he wasn't looking for trouble.