Mai quirked an eyebrow and squinted at him. "How right you are. Truthfully, Ashton, I would love to allow you back inside without mentioning any of this to Captain Alvarez or Her Majesty, but I'm afraid I cannot betray either of them. They are my superiors and they've entrusted me to be honest." Her voice was soft, almost like she took pity on Ashton. Actually, she did.

Despite the way she spoke to him, Mai didn't want to go entirely easy on him. Just like Bartley hadn't. Ashton was relieved. Special treatment wasn't what he wanted right now. He had never wanted it.

"I... I understand." That still didn't prevent Ashton's eyes from watering slightly.

Joseph scoffed. "Well, I hope the two of you are proud for sealing our deaths."

"I said disobeying Her Majesty would result in punishment not death," Ren sharply corrected. "Queen Anne has more mercy than that." This time, Ashton almost scoffed. Queen Anne and mercy didn't have any relations. That woman did as she pleased, depending on her mood. Ashton knew Beatrice was usually a victim.

Oh... Beatrice!

Ashton's heart leaped and he stepped forward. "May, may we enter now?"

Mai nodded at Ren. "We'll open the gate, and you'll escort them to the barracks. It's dawn, so Alvarez should be awake already. Inform him of the situation and we'll let him take it from there."

"Yes, ma'am," Ren dutifully answered.

As they opened the gate, Ashton and Joseph turned to each other. Ashton saw Joseph's anger flaring up once more, making his right eye twitch and his jaw clench.

"This is idiotic," Joseph hissed. "We did nothing wrong."

Ashton pursed his lips. He had a mouthful of responses to that, yet he settled on silence. Then Mai signaled for them to go on in and they shuffled through with Ren leading the way as if they'd never been here before.

"It's a good thing Alvarez is a morning person," Joseph murmured, leaning into Ashton.

Ashton blinked and continued to face forward, his mind drawing a blank. "How is that a good thing?"

"He will be in a cheery mood."

"Does Alvarez have a... cheery mood?" Ashton shook his head. "What does that mean, precisely?"

"I—oh, forget I said anything. You're right." Then, lower like he didn't really want Ashton to hear, Joseph added, "Nobody in this wretched kingdom is ever cheery." Ashton felt a pang of guilt fill his chest the way it had when he'd found Joseph in the Lunas tavern. He knew he was included in that "nobody." Especially recently. He couldn't even pretend to smile anymore.

They arrived at the castle gate and were given disapproving glares from the guards on duty. Ashton had to look away many times, fearing those eyes would burn him and damn his soul. Once they were waiting outside of Alvarez's office, Ashton looked at Joseph again. Joseph didn't show an ounce of fear. Ashton wondered if this bravery of Joseph's was merely an act—a wall he'd built over the past few months. Because Ashton knew he used to see much more humanity in Joseph's cold eyes.

Ren exited Alvarez's office a moment later and told them they could enter. Joseph snorted and sauntered inside as if this were a casual visit—another one of Alvarez's lectures telling him to take training more seriously or to treat the other trainees with more respect (both of which had occurred various times since Ashton had met Joseph).

Ashton concentrated on his breathing and waited until Ren disappeared around the corner before walking inside. He froze a few steps in when he noticed Alvarez pinching the bridge of his nose. Joseph—already sitting comfortably in one of the black wooden chairs in front of Alvarez's matching desk—glanced back at Ashton and arched an eyebrow. Finally, Alvarez put his hand down and looked up at him as well.