Chapter Four

The fields were kissed by the rising sun's rays when Ashton and Joseph neared the capital's entrance.

Ashton shakily inhaled. He couldn't even brace himself for a string of questions he'd have to stutter his way through. Captain Alvarez had already suspected Joseph, and this would only heighten that suspicion.

What kind of excuse could they even use? There were no reasons—absolutely none—that could explain why they were out all night.

"We'll be fine," Joseph promised, sounding astonishingly calm.

Ashton sighed and lowered his head. "How can you sound so confident?"

"Simple, really. If we're questioned, let's be honest. We needed air and yes, we sneaked out to take a walk. Then we were captured by strangers who wanted to kill us." Joseph snapped his fingers and grinned. "We can even say they're the ones behind the murders and we were almost their next victims." He pointed in the direction they'd come from, toward the western region and the Outlands.

Ashton resisted a roll of his eyes. "I thought you said we were going to be honest?"

Joseph lifted his right shoulder and snickered. "That's as honest as I'm going to get about this."

Ashton wanted to scold him. He wanted to stomp in front of him and tell him there was nothing to smirk or laugh at. He wanted to say smirking or laughing couldn't fix anything. However, hearing any bit of joy—even if it was Joseph's laughter—was better than listening to the pounding of his own fearful heart.

They reached the town's gate and had spears pointed at them by Sir Ren and Lady Mai who were adorned in full body armor and had matching grim expressions. Ashton raised up his hands and went completely stiff. Joseph, however, folded his arms across his chest and stared at the guards like they had no right treating him this way. Perhaps they didn't. Yet perhaps Ashton and Joseph had no right—considering the current situation and restrictions—to argue against this.

"They're trainees," Mai murmured to her comrade, her shoulders relaxing and her thin eyebrows straightening. She then stared pointedly at Ashton and sighed. "Do you have any idea how badly this is going to reflect on you?" Ashton blinked and slid his attention to the dry grass near his feet.

"We can explain," Joseph chimed in, waving his right hand.

Ren cleared his throat. "Whitman, this is not something you can charm your way out of. You were both present during Her Majesty's announcement and you swore to follow her new rules that are in correlation with this lockdown. To disobey her orders like this will result in grave punishment—"

"Easy there, Ren," Mai interrupted. "Go on, then, Whitman. Explain yourself. We are listening."

"So, as you've both guessed," Joseph started, "we did sneak out. Yes, we'll admit it. We couldn't sleep. Because of what's happening, we're restless. We thought a good walk would help clear our minds and we intended to return before anyone could notice—"

"Then we were ambushed," Ashton added. He looked up at the guards and deepened his frown. "Our assaulters took us to a shed and said they were going to kill us after they finished their feast." He felt Joseph's eyes on him—wide and proud.

Joseph nodded. "Yes. They didn't hurt us much, as you can see, and we managed to escape. The problem was that they took us somewhere in the Sinstiel and we barely found our way back. Long journey and all."

Ren burst into laughter, a gruffy sound that made Ashton grimace. "Are you truly expecting me to believe such a fabricated story?"

"No," Ashton bluntly responded. Ren's amusement fell from his face and Ashton decided to focus on Mai instead. "If I were you, I wouldn't believe me either. After all, anyone would say anything to get themselves out of trouble."