chapter twenty four

Start from the beginning

Pietro and Wally turned to the other, speaking in sync. "I should've done this a long time ago." They both leaned in at the same time, kissing each other for a moment before pulling back. "Yes, you should've."

Wanda snickered. "Oh, I saw that one coming for awhile."

The rest of the team hummed their agreements.

"Human customs still elude me." Red Tornado sighed.

Batman put a hand on Wanda's shoulder, bringing her out of the joyous moment. "Oh, right. The tests."

"We're coming too." The team all said at the same time, following after Batman and Wanda as they walked through the Watchtower to the medical area.

Batman gestured for Wanda to sit on the cot as he got out the supplies he would need. He took some blood, a cheek swab, did a CAT scan, and checked her vitals. "I should have the results in a couple of minutes."

Wanda nodded, squeezing Artemis' hand.

The team waited patiently as the computer chewed over the data, coming up with the answers. Batman looked them over, sighing before turning to Wanda. "I hate to say this, but Vandal Savage was telling the truth. The Lazarus pit healed you. Your cells are no longer decaying."

Wanda felt tears fall down her face as her friends swarmed her in a group hug. She couldn't have asked for a better way to start the new year.

Mount Justice

February 10, 12:04 PM EDT

The zeta tubes announced the arrival of Artemis, Wally, Robin, Raquel, and Kaldur. They immediately went to the lounge area, finding the rest of their friends there with M'gann baking a cake.

"Hey, we aren't late, are we?" Wally asked, pecking Pietro on the cheek.

"No, we haven't even started. Why bother with only half the team?" Wanda smiled when Artemis hugged her, patting the spot on the couch next to her.

"Good, good. So, what do the birthday twins want to do first? Pin the tail on the Wally? Piñata? Presents?" Robin asked, pulling two boxes out from his pocket.

Wanda looked to Pietro, who shrugged. "We don't know, we've never had a birthday party before. How do they usually go?"

"However the birthday person- or people- want them to. It is your day!" Zatanna smiled.

What do you want to do first, Pietro?

I kind of want to see what everyone got us...

Of course you do. Alright, tell them.

The team started to hand their presents to the twins, watching as they opened them up. They mostly got books, some weapons, some jewelry, some new clothes, and a set of watches from Robin.

Pietro looked at Robin curiously. Robin smirked. "Those aren't just regular watches. They are connected to each other. They were made specifically for you two. They read your bio signs and alert the other when you are in danger, no matter the distance."

"Way to show us up, Robin." Zatanna chuckled.

"Thank you for this. And thank you, all of you, for the rest of our presents." Pietro grinned. "The past almost year has been very trying, but I wouldn't change it for the world."

"Well, maybe the part where I almost die a few times." Wanda added, earning some chuckles from her friends. "But seriously, thank you all for being the best friends we could possibly ask for."

"Awe, bring it in!" M'gann pulled everyone into a group hug, laughs going around as they embraced each other.

Later that day, Wanda pulled Pietro aside, handing him a small box. "I told you, I got your present a few months ago. I hope you like it."

Pietro handed her a small box as well, pulling her into a hug. "You gave me the best present when you lived."

They opened the boxes at the same time, giggling when they pulled out almost the exact same necklace as the other. Wanda's was blue and silver and Pietro's was red and gold.

"Did you have Zatanna-"

"-imbue it with your essence?"

"Yeah." They smiled at each other, putting the necklaces on.

"Now we will always have the other close to heart, physically and emotionally." Pietro kissed Wanda's forehead. "I love you, Wanda."

"I love you too, Pietro. You are my hero. You saved my life more than once."

"Hey! Are you two going to join the party again anytime soon? We are going to play pin the tail on the Wally now!"

"No, you're not!"

Pietro and Wanda laughed, walking back to their friends with lightness in their hearts and souls.

They had done it.

fin.