27. The Truth

Mulai dari awal

"I think we should sell the house." Matt's eyebrows raise. He definitely wasn't expecting that.

"You want to sell our home?" My eyes flicker towards the master bath before fixing back on him. "Oh." His voice is quiet.

"I just think that if we are going to start our lives over, we really need to commit to that."

"But it's the only house Landon remembers."

"Landon will be fine as long as you and I are fine. He just wants us together." I throw my hair up into a high pony tail as Matt thinks over what I've said.

"It is kind of silly that I make all this money and we don't have a beachfront property, isn't it?" A smile pulls at my lips.

"So you'll do it? You'll put the house on the market?"

"Tomorrow morning it's listed." I wrap my arms around his neck and hug him tight. "I told you I'd do anything to have you back. I meant it."

"I love you." I whisper as I press a kiss to his lips. "Even if we are the most dysfunctional couple on the planet." I brush my hand over his forehead and through his hair. "You're the only man I ever want to be with."

"I'm going to make sure Landon is asleep and then work on some work stuff in the office before I come to bed, so I'll see you in the morning." As the words leave his lips I slip my fingers under his shirt to touch the sensitive skin of his sides. He pulls me closer and presses a rough kiss to my lips and it's enough to make me want to pull him back in and not let him go. When he steps back my breath is ragged and there's a want in the pit of my stomach.

"Fuck it. It can wait." Matt mumbles as he pushes me back towards the bed and rips his shirt from my body. I slip out from his grasp and he gives me a confused look before I take the hem of the shirt he is wearing and pull it over his head. My hands press against his tattooed chest and push him back on the bed as I straddle his lap, reconnecting our lips in a rough kiss. Matt's hands immediately search for the clasp of my bra and in seconds it's on the floor. I kiss down his neck, wanting him more than I can ever remember as I sit back on his knees and reach for the buckle of his belt.

"Trying to take control, huh?" He jokes as I unbutton his jeans. He stands up, my legs wrapped around his waist and his hands holding me by my ass. His jeans fall to the floor and he steps out of them as he turns back to the bed and drops me onto the sheets.

Matt leans over me and presses his lips to my abdomen and I run my fingers through his hair as he reaches up to take my breasts in both of his hands.

The mood is interrupted by a sweet little voice outside the door calling for his dad. Matt pulls away as I sit up and reach for the shirt I had been wearing before that's laying on the floor.

"Yeah, bud?" Matt throws his jeans on and opens the bedroom door to reveal a very sleepy looking Landon.

"What's the matter?" I ask as I go over to him.

"I had a bad dream." Landon mumbles sleepily as he toddles into the bedroom. Matt and I exchange glances and Matt rolls his eyes as he shuts the bedroom door once more, realizing that neither of us are going to get what we really need, at least not tonight.

"You want to sleep with us?" Matt asks as Landon climbs up into the king size bed.

"Yeah." I walk over to my side of the bed and lay down, pulling my sleepy son into my chest as he winds his body around mine, his head resting on my chest. Matt lays down on his side of the bed and lays on his side facing us with a content smile on his face.

"I missed this." Matt mumbles out as he pulls the comforter up around the three of us. Within minutes Landon is sound asleep and Matt and I lay in a comfortable silence before I start to drift off.

Hours pass but it feels like only minutes that I've been asleep when I wake up to find Landon sprawled across Matt's side of the bed but Matt is no where to be found. I reach for my phone to check the time but don't feel it on the bedside table beside me. I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion, I know I left it there. I stand from the bed carefully to not wake Landon, and walk out into the hall.

The light from Matt's office shines under the door and I make my way to it. When I open the door, Matt is sitting in the chair behind the desk, his head in his hands.

"What are you doing in here? It's late." I walk over to him and place my hands on his shoulders but he brushes me off. I look down at the desk and see my phone sitting on the wood top.

"Why do you have my phone?" My eyebrows scrunch in confusion.

"I woke up to your phone ringing." Matt's tone is flat. There's no emotion and he doesn't turn to look at me. It's a sound I recognize and dread to hear.

"Okay, and?"

"Please, don't act stupid, Summer. You're a terrible liar." Matt snaps.

"I don't understand why you're upset." I force him to turn and look at me and his eyes are filled with red rage.

"Brian texted you." My heart stops, but I put on an innocent face.

"Brian texts me all the time." I try to play innocent but I know this is headed in a bad direction.

"Did something happen between you two?" The look in his eyes tells me he knows something happened. I reach for my phone but in a fit he grabs it from me and throws it across the room. It slams against the bookcase and clatters to the floor, the screen shattered. "Don't let him suck you back in, Summer." Matt mocks, repeating the words Brian sent to me. "You know he'll only break your heart again." He takes a step towards me and I start to feel sick. "I would never hurt you the way Matt hurts you, Summer."

"Matt—"

"What happened between you?" Matt shouts in my face and I shrink into myself while turning my head to the side. Tears build in my eyes and his intense stare is unwavering. He's seething with anger and I can feel my heart shatter in my chest.

"We kissed." I whisper, unable to lie to him. Matt is silent for a moment before he lets out a deep breath and turns away from me. He opens one of the drawers in his desk and grabs his car keys.

"What are you doing?" I ask while trying to stay calm.

"He's going to pay for this. He's always tried to come between us." Matt's voice is eerily calm as he pockets his phone and turns for the door. I reach out and grab his arm but he turns around fast and holds up his hand like he's going to backhand me. I have no words as we stare at each other. My hands begin to shake and I fold them into fists to keep him from seeing.

"Don't touch me." Matt's voice is laced with venom and I step back against the wall. "I let you contacting my ex wife behind my back go because I knew you had your reasons. I didn't even mention it. But this? You fucking my best friend behind my back? I don't fucking think so."

"We didn't sleep together. I wouldn't do that to you."

"No, you'd just kiss him and make him think you want to fuck him to get back at me." He shouts.

"That wasn't it, Matt I was upset. It was a mistake." My voice shakes and I just want him to calm down. I don't want anyone getting hurt because of me.

"You were living with him!" Matt paces the room. "Sleeping under the same roof!"

"I said it was a mistake. I shouldn't have stayed there. I get that now."

"How could you do this to me?" Matt sits down in his chair once more and rests his head in his hands. There's a deafening silence between us. "And he wanted you to go as his date tomorrow. Over my dead body." Matt looks up at me and I know there's no arguing. "He looked me in the face and told me you were just friends. He lied to my fucking face." I step towards him and kneel down on my knees. I take his face in my hands but he tries to brush me off.

"No. Don't you get it, Matt? I am trying to fight for us. I made a huge mistake in letting Brian get to me when I was vulnerable, but I would be with him right now if he was who I wanted." Matt stares at me for a moment before standing.

"This conversation is over. Now, I'm going to go have one with Brian." He stands from the chair and shoves past me before leaving me in the office, not sure what will happen when he sees his former friend.