12. Coffee

SUMMER

The sound of my heels click-clack on the marble floor of Matt's office building as Landon holds my hand and tries to keep up with my pace.

"Mama is going to be late." I say with a sigh as I slow down a little to keep him from having to run.

"It's okay, mama. Even if you don't get your hair done, you still look beautiful." His voice is sweet and honest, causing me to stop walking so I can kneel down and press a kiss to his cheek.

"Well, that's all that matters then, isn't it?" I ask him and he nods his head, his blue eyes that match mine shining. I stand back up and we resume our quick paced walk across the giant building. When we get to a set of industrial looking doors made of steel, I push one open and am immediately greeted by the secretary, Hanna.

Hanna's a sweet girl, very young and eager to please her employer. She started an internship here during college and Matt liked her so much he decided to keep her. She's a shy little brunette with eyes that sometimes seem too big for her face, her lips full and plump. I think she's sweet and my son sure loves her. I flash her a smile as she asks Landon how his day has been.

"Pretty cool. Mama and I ate dinosaur shaped pancakes and then we watched cartoons for a whole hour." The sweet boy rambles on about our morning.

"Wow, that sounds like a great day." She enthuses as she kneels down so she's at his level.

"Now, I get to hang out with dad while mama gets her hair done." Landon continues on as Hanna looks to me.

"Is he in there?" I ask while motioning towards Matt's office as Hanna stands.

"He was last time I checked." I let go of Landon's hand and he takes off running towards the lobby where there's toys for children with their parents waiting to speak with someone at the real estate agency.

Matt knows business, and after working in a club for a few years. he decided to make things happen for himself. He built this place up from the ground and it's now a multi-million dollar agency. They work with all the upscale residential, as well as commercial, clients in the Huntington area.

"How is he today?" The brunette lets out a breath of air and shrugs.

"Well, his coffee was made wrong this morning and he threw it at the intern who brought it. She left in tears. Then one of our clients called to say that their agent didn't show for a pretty pricy listing, he lost his mind." I can tell she's full of anxiety today and could probably use a long break, but she doesn't complain.

"Great. Thanks for the warning." I call out for my son and he runs over to take my hand as we walk towards the back of the room towards Matt's office. Its secluded from everyone else, just the way he likes it. I knock on the steel door, a miniature version of the grand double doors at the entrance before turning the handle and walking in. Landon runs in without taking notice that Matt is in a hushed argument with someone on the phone.

"Hey, daddy! Guess what!" I whisper Landon's name and he turns to look at me before Matt pulls the phone away from his ear and covers the mouth piece.

"Mama, I want to te-"

"Landon, sit down and be quiet." Matt's voice is stern as he turns away from us in his office chair and resumes his position with the phone to his ear.