- 9. Roger Breaks Brian's Guitar

Monday, December 12, 1976. 6 Years later.

___________

It is now 6 years later, everything is getting harder as before. But I and Roger are doing well, we have many plans and Roger plays drums every day.

It was a cold morning, I woke up and yawned. I stretched and opened the curtain. As I opened the curtain, everything turned white. It has been snowing all night!

Roger was still asleep, while I put on my socks, he woke up. "Hey, good morning, princess!" Roger said in a hoarse voice.

"Good morning, lazy prince, are you getting up?" I asked while stroking his hair. Roger nodded and rubbed his eyes. "I hardly slept last night." Roger groaned, the same story every morning.  Roger has been suffering from sleep problems for 2 years now.

Roger takes sleeping pills, but he neatly indicates that it is not working. But every night, this still sounds a little crazy, hold on tight, I tell Roger stories before bed. In fact, it makes him sleepy.

Roger stretched as he sat on the edge of the bed. He stood up and looked out the window. "Snow, what a party." Roger said as he yawned. I laughed, "You didn't like snow, did you?" I asked.

"No absolutely not!" Roger said as he put on his socks and pants. "I have to practice today, are you coming?" Roger asked.  I nodded, "Of course?" I replied.

Later Roger prepared for the exercise, he will perform for a large audience next week. Roger stood in front of the mirror combing his hair, "Do you think this is beautiful?" Roger asked. I stroked his hair, "It's very very very beautiful!"

********

Later, we got out of the car. Great, because it started to rain hard!

Roger got out of the car and took his drumsticks out of his pocket. We walked hand and hand to the recording studio.

When we walked in, Freddie ran to us.  "Dear darlings, there you are!" Freddie said. He led us to the studio where Roger's drum set was ready.

"One, two, one two three four!" I heard Freddie sing from the other room. Later I wondered, what was wrong with Roger? He is silent and looks depressed all day long?

I enjoyed the music from the other room. Fortunately, the walls were made of glass, so I could see them practicing. I sat on a leather couch and I picked up a magazine. "Girls magazine?" I whisper to myself.

I yawned and read the magazine, I threw off my shoes and pretended to be home. Later Freddie walked in with a cup of coffee. "Coffee?" He asks.

"Thank you!"  I replied as I threw the magazine aside. Freddie sat down next to me, "How's Roger and you?" He asked. I nodded, "Fantastic! We often talk about babies."

Freddie laughed. "Roger and a baby? He doesn't even know how to change a diaper!" Freddie laughed. As I sipped my coffee, I choked with laughter. "Maybe, but then I'll help Roger!" I replied as I cleaned my mouth with the back of my hand.

"Goddamn it, you've been sleeping for half an hour now we have to practice you lazy monkey!"  Brian shouted from the hall, Freddie and I were startled.  Brian seemed to be angry?

"Roger broke my guitar!" Brian shouts angrily.

Freddie and I looked at each other with big eyes. "Shit!" I whisper. Brian sat down on the chair and put his guitar on his lap. He started to sob softly.

"What happened?" Deaky asked scared.  Brian wiped a tear and looked at his broken guitar. "Roger screwed my guitar!" Brian sobbed. I got up to find Roger. But apparently he had hidden himself.

I went looking for Roger with chills down my spine, I looked in every room. When I stopped looking for a moment, I heard hard breathing and sobbing from the closet. I opened the closet, where Roger was curled up in a blanket.

I quietly pulled the blanket off Roger, "Sweetheart, get up!" I whisper. Roger pulled the blanket back over his head.

I crouched to calm Roger, "Come on baby, what happened?" I have asked. Roger trembled. "I'm just so ashamed of what happened!" Roger answered angrily. I stroked his arm. Roger decided to sit up straight anyway.

"I wanted to play Brian's guitar, but the strap broke off and the guitar fell to the ground!" Roger cried. I led Roger to the couch. "Then it is not your fault, this can happen to anyone!" I said as I put an arm around Roger. Roger nodded, "But do you understand how embarrassing it is?" Roger said when he dropped his head in his hands.

Roger slapped his forehead, "What am I supposed to do Kim, will you help me?" Roger asked with glistening tears in his eyes. I nodded and hugged Roger, "Of course, I want to help you. Let's just buy a new one okay?" I replied. Roger nodded and started to wipe his tears.  "Should I get you Brian?" I asked. A wave of panic came over Roger, "No! He's really mad at me!" Said Roger stressed.

I gave Roger the last comfort hug and I left the room. Roger had to fix this himself, so I walked over to Brian and the other guys. I opened the door of the recording studio. "I think we better get home." I said. Freddie nodded, "We'll practice again another time."

"We'll buy you a new one, I'm sorry this happened." I said to Brian. He looked very emotional but got up from his chair. "Thanks Kim, it's all right now." Brian said in a soft voice.

I waved at the boys and left the room to pick up Roger. He lay on the couch with a pillow on his head. I sat down next to Roger, "Honey, we're going home!" I said to Roger. Roger took the pillow off his face and stretched.

"You look terrible, I'm going to drive for you." I said to Roger stroking his cheek.  "What did Brian say?" Roger asked as he put on his coat. "He said it was all right, now come on." I said when I put on my scarf.

We left the studio, it was terribly cold this afternoon. Roger quickly got into the car next to me, I started the engine. I tried to drive slowly because the snow was very slippery.

I always heard Roger sigh, I put my hand on Roger's leg. "Is everything alright?" I asked. Roger nodded, "No, I'm just sad." Roger said.

------------

We were home, I went to put the clothes in the washing machine. Roger was sitting on the sofa with a glass of beer. When I had the washing machine on, Roger was on the phone. "Brian, do you remember I'm sorry?" Roger said. I remained silent while listening to it.  "Good bye.." Roger said as he hung up his phone. He sighed and looked in the mirror and whispered, "What a huge bastard I am!"

"You are not!" I said from the corner.  Roger was startled, "Really?" He asked.  I ran into Roger's arms. "He was so mad at me!" Roger cried. I stroked his hair, "Don't worry my dear bear, I'll come make you dinner." I said to Roger as I led his arm to the sofa. I went to the kitchen to cook steak.

Roger picked up the newspaper and sat down at the table. While I finished cooking, I gave my delicious dish to Roger. ''Enjoy your meal sweetheart.'' I said to Roger.  ''You too sweetheart.'' Roger said softly. We ate delicious "You are the best cook in the world!" Roger said with a full mouth.

Later we went to bed, Roger was already in bed while I did the dishes. I gave Roger a big kiss on the cheek while he snored loudly, a miracle he sleeps through, at least he felt very guilty about everything