8: another night, another day goes by

Start from the beginning

"Where is she?" I chimed in.

"She's safe."

"And by that, do you possibly mean, she's not the one causing the ringing or the earthquake?" The two continued their banter.

"Exactly. If she left the bed, I would have known."

"That's kind of creepy," Randall remarked with a grimace, and Gabrielle a knowing look.

From the three, I shifted my attention towards Lilith and Nicole who seemed to be having a private silent conversation. Nicole nodded her head, seemingly encouraging her to speak. "Did any of you smell smoke? Because I've been smelling it since yesterday."

Her confession caused us all to look at each other in perplexity. "I guess... that was just the neighbors."

Nicole replied with a whisper of: "I told you this wasn't a wolf thing."

No one else, but I heard it.

"Don't you live in an apartment?" Gabrielle clarified.

"She's right." Randall wagged a finger in agreement.

"So, what do you guys think that was?" Lilith changed the topic. I continued to examine her; something was going on with her.

"I actually might have an idea," Jack muttered under his breath to which Gabrielle responded to with a boastful smile.

"Oh. I already figured it out actually." I locked eyes with Gabrielle in understanding. Our situation might not have been as complicated as I thought.

"Would you like to explain then, Gabrielle?" Jack deadpanned.

"Sure. You stole Alpha from Praxis (what's left of them, anyway), and now they're pissed."

"You caught me." He exclaimed sarcastically.

"You're very predictable."

"We have to warn Vera." Jack surprised me with the request.

And that's exactly what we did.

Her reaction was unsurprised, and her response was brief. "Lure them here."

"To the Temple? Why?" Nicole posed.

Gabrielle shrugged. "It'd be like an ambush."

"Sure, but how would we do that?" Randall shook his head.

"Get Ms. Drake here."

Jack's face contorted to worry. "Vera, are you actively trying to get her killed again?"

"Everyone will be relieved of their duties tomorrow if that's what you're worried about, Mr. Morton." She glanced at me, making sure I got the message that that was my duty.

"Would Alyssa even agree to go here?" Randall was right.

"It is for the greater good. Make sure she comes tomorrow, Jack." I inclined.

"And then?" Lilith impatiently encouraged Vera to continue.

"And then what?"

"What do we do with them?" Nicole's voice was uneasy.

"Deal with them. I don't care how you do it, just do so and do it effectively. You can ask for Ms. Drake's input about all this as long as she doesn't start another apocalypse. And don't give any of them a chance to try. I'll be in the reliquary the entire time, figuring out how they caused that earthquake." She smiled at me. "I'll see you later."

"Those were a lot of words, but all I heard was 'kill them'." Randall had his notion.

"I don't think Alyssa would like that."

"But what other option do we have?" Lilith countered.

"We could talk to her. Vera did say we could." Gabrielle reminded us.

It took us a few minutes to walk from the Temple to Jack's grandfather's house. He knocked three times. "Alyssa. We have company."

"Why?" Her voice was muffled behind the door.

"There are some important matters we need to discuss," I spoke calmly.

Alyssa cracked it ajar. "What is it?"

"I'd appreciate it if you let us in first." Gabrielle pushed it fully agape. It received an appreciative smirk from Lilith who instantly claimed one of the couches.

"We need to talk about Praxis." I began the conversation.

"Please- don't kill them." Alyssa was wide-eyed.

"We won't if you help us figure out what to do."

She was quiet for some time, but then she reached a resolution. "I need to be there. They won't listen to a word you say, but they will listen to me."

"There's no doubt about that, but how do we know you won't turn around and stab us in the back?" Gabrielle interjected.

"Really? She's one person." Jack fired back.

"Yes. One person who also happens to be a wolf, a very skilled practitioner, and the people we're fighting are possible back-up to her when they arrive."

"Don't worry. I can handle her." Lilith silenced the arguments. Then she proceeded to stare pointedly at Alyssa. "You better cooperate, or I might just test-drive my new skills on you."

"What if they don't listen to you?" Nicole's suggestion was valid.

"They will."

"But if they don't?" Gabrielle insisted.

"Then we do our worst-" I was cut off by Alyssa.

"I will take away all their magic." That took us all aback.

"Sure you will." Gabrielle was the only one who recovered from the shock. "Why would you do that?"

"It's the only other option." Her answer intensified our speechlessness.

Jack breathed out deeply. "So, are we all set?"

"I believe so. Let's meet at the Temple tomorrow." Let's see how this goes.