3. A new pet and an old friend

Kira opened her eyes, a cold sensation filling her head. She saw two pointed ears before her. Blood trickled down her neck where one of the creature's claws landed. She closed her hand and didn't feel her machete in it. Kira pushed the dark silhouette off and decided she would have to fight it with her bare hands. All of a sudden she stopped and stared in awe at what stood before her. 

There, observing Kira, was a large, silver, and white, wolf looking husky. Forgetting what was even happening, the girl gazed into the eyes of the wolf-like dog. There was no collar on it which meant it was either stray or came from the nearby forest. Kira knew there were many stray dogs in the city's hidden ally ways but never like this. The husky snarled and  Kira walked over and stood tall to assert her dominance. The canine didn't back down. The young girl sat and looked into the creature's irises and it calmed down. Somehow, the husky felt trusting of the human before it. 

It sat down and Kira saw that the dog was a girl. The female looked at Kira expectantly and she immediately knew that this dog needed a home. Kira remembered the stranger and looked towards where she was seen last. The woman was still standing there, mortified. Kira felt that the stranger was too scared to have been able to help or do anything the moment the husky attacked Kira. The teen smiled at the lady and said calmly "I'll take it from here. You can go home now miss."

The woman nodded but wasn't satisfied with how she acted. So she picked up the machete and brought it to Kira. After all, it was the least she could do. "Thank you for saving me," she mumbled.

Kira saw the older female in more light now. She looked just a bit younger than what Kira had originally thought. "No problem.. but what are you doing up so early in the morning?.." Kira inquired.

The stranger stayed quiet, uncertain if she should answer. "I work a night shift and it ends early in the morning," she says quietly. "My name is Crystal by the way."

"Oh, I can't imagine what that must be like! I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. I should know my place. I'm Kira." Kira takes the machete and holds it under her arm.  

"It's fine! but I should get going now." Crystal looked up at the sky as it brightened. Their surroundings presented themselves in blue hues.

"Right! cya, 'round!" Kira smiled. And with that, Crystal nodded and walked away. "And as for you..." Kira looked at the dog. "I'll name you Silver!"

~  

It was Wednesday, Kira's third day at Tiger Brooke. Her morning was already pretty rough to begin with. She wore a necklace today to cover up the scratch mark. Even though she woke up early, she still managed to get to her class approximately three seconds before the first bell rang. Everyone looked at her when she ran in. She was embarrassed. In every class, she dozed off and when she caught herself, she'd shake her head but not enough that her classmates noticed. Kira had come to the realization that she left a wild animal at home. And not supervised. 

It was lunchtime. Kira was about to sit down when someone called her name. She turned slightly to see who it was and saw Jade waving at her. "Sit over here, with us!" Kira smiled and quickly walked over. She stood, not knowing which of the empty seats to take. "Sit in front of me," Jade said grinning. Kira sat. 

Jake stared at Kira with a scowl on his face. Kira noticed this but turned her head in the other direction as she ate. She didn't like it when people watched her eat. 

People filled up the table rapidly and this made Kira feel out of place.  "So Kira," Jade started. Kira flinched.

"Y-yes Jade?" Kira said. 

"Do you have a middle name?" she asked. 

As if on cue, somebody yelled "River!!!" Kira jumped at the sound of her 'middle name'. Just then, a little boy ran up to her and hugged her.

"Dari!" Kira smiled at her friend. She used to babysit Dari when she was thirteen. "It's been two years since I saw you last! You're in First Grade now, right?"

"Yup!" Dari replied happily "And, guess what? I've been learning a new language!"

"Really? What is it?" asked Kira.

"Ancient Shentaran!" The little boy told her. 

"That's awesome Dari! Not to be rude, but, may I ask why you're here?" Kira questioned.

"My mom had to drop something off. And when I looked in here, I saw you, River!"

"Oh. Say, why don't you come over later today, when I'm done school? I decorated the house and thought you and your mother would like it!"  

"Really?! That would be great! I'll ask my mom. But I have to go now so you probably won't know until I come or not." 

With that, Kira ruffled Dari's hair and he left as she waved. She turned around and realized where she was. She had been so caught up in the conversation, that she left Jade unanswered. Kira glanced at the siblings and looked down, blushing in embarrassment. "U-um... sorry... My middle name is River..." Jake still had a blank and unamused expression on his face while his sister's expression changed to a wide smile. 

"Really?! That's what the little boy called you, right? That's such a cute middle name ah!" Jackie squealed. 

Kira smiled at that. 

~After School~

Kira decided to leave with the crowd this time. Somehow she still managed to get left all the way in the back. She felt someone push her aside to get through. "Move it, Kira. I don't need you getting in my way." A familiar voice growled. She opened her eyes to see Jake. He pushed past everyone else too. Surely he wasn't angry at her. Maybe he needed to be somewhere. So Kira shrugged it off and moved on. 

~

Oh crap... I hope that dog didn't mess up the house! Kira thought to herself as she stepped on the first stair. She slowly turned the key and put her hand on the doorknob. She gulped as she turned it. Kira peeked inside. 

Her jaw dropped at what she saw. SIlver was playing with Dari and the house was completely clean. "Oh! Hi Dari!" Kira exclaimed.

"Hi, River! I didn't know you got a dog!" The little boy acknowledged.