16. A Journal

Crystal, Jake, and Kira were now sitting at a table, side by side and across from somebody that Kira knew.

"What are you doing so far away from home?" The woman questioned.

"Oh, I just decided to take a trip with some friends over here to find some historical books. How's Dari?" She didn't know it before, but the boy she used to babysit is also a creature. Naturally, his mother is as well.

"He's been in good health." Cecilia, a well put together woman with a neat high bun squinted at Kira. "So, what do you need historical books for?" 

Kira wasn't sure if she was able to tell the truth. Did she know? Did Ms. Aria tell her what the situation was with Kira not knowing her family history? 'Anything that goes on inside these walls, stays inside these walls' She recalled Akane's warning. 

"Oh, just..."

"She's just curious about a few things." Kira was surprised when Crystal chimed in. 

"She can speak for herself," The two women glare at each other and the tension thickens. 

Jake glances at Kira, whose face is now resting in her hands. He feels as if he shouldn't be there, being that he was the only guy. He figured he would make up some reason to excuse himself. But then, he looks back at his friend. He was the one who suggested they come here.  What would she think if he wimped out now? What would he think of himself? 

"Yes, I know that. You're putting her on the spot." Crystal leans back and crosses her arms.

"I was just asking a question..." Cecilia looks back at Kira. "Anyway, you're supposed to be in-," 

Jake stands quickly, taking a hold of Kira's wrist. "I just remembered something. Let's go, Kira, I need to look something up before all the computers are taken." He pulls her away and she looks back at the two women. 

"Uh, see you around Ms. Cecilia! I'll visit sometime!" And the two left, Crystal still sitting there with an annoyed expression on her face. 

"Crystal, what are you doing. I can't keep helping you. I mean, pulling teenagers out of school, really? You're lucky I know her." 

"They called me. I wasn't going to leave them to go back in and embarrass themselves. What are you doing here anyway?"

Cecilia averted her burgundy eyes and rested her folded hands on the table. Then, Crystal heard A quiet 'psst' coming from her left. She saw two heads poking out from behind a bookshelf through the corner of her eye. 

Crystal sighed with her eyes closed, as if almost disappointed. "Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, 'Ms. Cecilia'," Crystal rolled her eyes. "Don't interfere. I know you probably care as much as I do, but we need to keep the amount of people helping to a minimum." She stood. 

"Don't be late to your shift tonight." The woman didn't look at Crystal, and so she walked away, leaving Cecilia there to wonder. To wonder why her coworker was so defensive all of a sudden. What did she mean helping? Was she talking about Kira? 

~

Jake and Kira mainly found things that lined up with what Akane explained. They had been looking for an hour and were beginning to lose hope. That was when Crystal came trotting up to the duo excitedly, waving a book in front of her. 

"Guys, I think you might wanna see this." The teens walked up to meet her and she opened up to the first page. "Entries, dates, events. They line up with the History books, but from a first person point of view." 

"A diary?" Jake scrunched up his nose as his eyes glossed over the first page. 

The book shut and he looked up to meet Crystal's scornful eye. "Yes, a diary. Or maybe more of a journal."