9. Thanksgiving

So far, Autumn was going well. The cold was creeping up on everyone with winter right around the corner. Kira felt lonely as she always did during the beginning of the holidays. Luckily, she had her dog Silver to keep her company. She was thankful for that. 

It was the end of the day and Jade pulled Kira aside to talk. "So... Jake left on Sunday. When I asked him about it, he said it was none of my business, as he does." She walked toward Kira slowly. Neither of them said a word until Jade was behind Kira. She put her arm over Kira's shoulder and talked into her ear. "What happened between you two?" Kira had never seen her friend this way.

"Um, Jade?" Kira was relieved to hear his voice. "What are you doing?"

The boy's sister turned to face him and she wasn't fake about it. "I know what happened on Halloween. Not all the details, but I saw. You went somewhere on Sunday. I have my suspicions that you went to her house." Kira listened without intervening. 

"Gosh, you're annoying. You don't have to know everything that goes on in my life. But if it's that important to you, yes, I did go to Kira's house. And so what if I did? What does it matter to you? You need to chill out and let me live." 

When Jade went silent, the other female avoided turning around at all costs. She didn't want to see how scary Jade could be. She heard footsteps and then felt a tap on her shoulder when they were out of earshot. She tensed up. "Don't worry It's me. What was she telling you?" 

Kira wouldn't look at him. "She asked what happened between us. I didn't know what to say." 

"Hm. Well if that ever happens again, you don't have to tell her anything. She can be nosy but you don't owe her an explanation. Say, do you want to come to my place soon? Like maybe... on the 20th?"

Kira finally turned around. "Um.. sure. I don't have anything to do that day."

~

Jake went to pick up Kira and they both walked to his house, talking the whole way there. She was glad that it wasn't awkward or anything and she could tell that he was trying his best. She heard the rumors about him fighting in school, but they didn't scare her anymore. She was happy to call him her friend. 

"I'm home." the male said as he opened the door.

A tall, pretty woman with striking red eyes came into view. If looks could kill, Kira would be dead. But as the woman realized that Kira fit the description, her mouth curved into a warm smile. "Why, hello River! Welcome to our home." Kira was taken aback. "What's wrong? Is your name not River?" Kira tensed up and put her head down respectfully.

"Well, it is... I'm just not used to being called that. My first name is Kira, but please, continue calling me River." 

"Alright then. Come sit down." 

The three sat and Kira looked around. Nice place. She thought. The atmosphere was very welcoming. 

"Kira River Ashspire. It's a very nice name. So, you're the one I've heard so much about. I've been dying to meet you, so I'm glad that you accepted my son's invitation."

Kira studied this woman's face. Her offspring's beauty came from her, it seemed. Of course, Kira doesn't know what the father looks like. She then stared straight into her blazing crimson eyes. She was in awe. Both Jade and Jake's eyes were blue, so she never expected their mother's eyes to look as if they were burning into her soul. Still, they were kind. 

"Let's get down to business." Mrs. Anderson crossed her legs and leaned back into the chair across from the two. She had a smirk on her face and it scared them both a little bit. "So, are you two dating?" 

Their faces were like tomatoes. Kira spoke up. "N-no it's not anything like that! We're just friends I promise." 

"I see. Would I be able to meet your parents any time soon?"

"I don't have any. I live alone."

Mrs. Anderson looked at Jake with concerned eyes and then back at Kira. "I'm sorry." 

"Oh, no, it's totally fine, really. I don't remember much about them, so it doesn't hurt." 

"I see. Say, would you like to come over for Thanksgiving?"

Kira looked at Jake and then back at his mother. "I would... if you don't mind." She looked down, feeling embarrassed but she didn't know why. "You just met me and I'm being invited to a family dinner... Thank you."

"Of course. I want to know more about you." 

Jake stood up and stretched. "Well, I think It's time to get going." 

His mother looked at him questioningly and he shrugged. "Alright then. It was a pleasure to meet you River."

Kira got up and started following Jake. "Pleasure to meet you as well."

The two went to a park and sat on a bench. "I didn't expect my mom to invite you to Thanksgiving." There was silence. "So..." He looked at Kira. "What are you thankful for?"

Kira looked up at the sky and thought for a moment. "Well... I'm thankful that I have a roof over my head. I'm able to eat three meals a day, I have a dog. I'm thankful for my friends... and I'm thankful for..." Kira didn't want to sound cheesy but she said it anyway. "you." She looked at Jake, smiling. 

Her smile made him feel warm inside and he felt emotions that he had never known about before. "Oh um. Yeah. I-I.. uh." He started getting flustered and he looked at his lap. Kira laughed softly. "I'm thankful for you too." He mumbled.

~

Kira made it to Jake's house wearing a bulky grey turtle neck sweater and black leggings. She wore brown boots and grey knee-high socks. 

A tall, strong-looking man was sitting on the couch. His face was chiseled and wise and his hair was a dark grey and in a neat bun with little strands of hair hanging around his face, framing it nicely. That must be Jake and Jade's dad. 

"Hello River, please, have a seat." Mrs. Anderson said. Kira sat a good distance away from the man to show her respect. 

He looked at her. "So, you must be the River that my wife was talking about." He put his hand out and they shook hands, nice, short, and firm. 

"Yes, that's me. It's a pleasure to meet you." 

"Mhm. You'll be a great addition to the family. I've concluded that from all the information I've heard about you. So welcome." 

"Wait... what? No no.. Jake and I aren't... um." Kira blushed. Why were they so quick to assume that she and Jake were together?

"Ah. I see... my mistake. Forgive me." He looked at the television where a sport was playing. "You know..." He began. "life is like a videogame. The good things that happen are like points. The bad things make your health go down. Do what you think is right all the time. We all strive for the good ending, where we die peacefully of old age. We can't do that sometimes. But we have to try our best to not ruin our lives." His eyes were glued to the screen now. 

Kira had no idea how to respond. She did think about what he said though. 

Jake and Jade came downstairs as Mrs. Anderson put the food on the table. Kira had never seen so much in her life. Was this how normal Thanksgiving dinners were? She felt out of place and slowly stood up when everyone went to sit at the table. She didn't know what to do and Mrs. Anderson called her over. Kira waited until everyone sat down to pick a seat, just in case. Thankfully, nobody sat next to Jake, and somewhat ironically, that's where Kira felt the safest. They all bowed their heads to pray. Kira smiled at that and then they started eating and talking to each other. They went around the table and said what they were thankful for. Kira was the last one. Everyone looked at her, waiting for an answer. "I'm thankful that you've all welcomed me into your home with open arms. I'm grateful to you." The parents liked that answer and smiled. 

"That was sweet." Mrs. Anderson looked at her husband with a serious face and he nodded. "River. I've been meaning to ask you. What is your creature?"