1. First Impressions

Kira stood outside her classroom door for a long time getting her thoughts together before she went in. She looked at the outfit she had put on and had second thoughts about it. It was a white hoodie with pink accents such as the hood and the drawstrings. The hoodie was a little big on her, so her hands didn't show. She was also wearing shorts and pink thigh high socks. Typical anime girl outfit. She liked the vibe it gave her because It was cute but she contemplated whether it was appropriate for school. Especially since it's High School. She wasn't a little girl anymore. What was I thinking? she thought to herself. Finally, she gathered up enough courage to walk in and introduce herself. 

She opened the door and everyone looked in her direction which made her shake nervously.  The teacher noticed Kira standing there with a blank look on her face. "Ah, you must be the new kid. Come in and  I'll get you settled. And if you don't mind, would you like to introduce yourself?" 

Kira didn't want to but for the sake of not looking like a wimp on the first day, she walked to the front of the class. All eyes were on her and she was trembling. "Hello. My name is Kira River Ashspire." her fake name. "I look forward to having a great year with you all." she had practiced all morning long and nailed it. 

"Thank you, Kira." The teacher said plainly. "Sit down in the empty seat next to Jake. Jake raise your hand." 

A dark-haired boy with astonishing dark blue eyes raised his hand in an exaggerated manner. well, he sure must have an attitude... Kira thought to herself as she walked over obediently. She put her pastel green backpack on the back of the chair and stopped. Jake put his hand on her seat so she couldn't sit down. He casually looked out the window as if nothing was going on. "Um excuse me, may I sit down please?" Kira asked politely. 

From Jake's point of view, he smirked and kept looking at the squirrels playing in the trees outside the window. Why does she think being polite will help her? That won't work in the real world. Dummy. Jake thought as he kept his hand on Kira's seat. Suddenly he had an itch and his other hand was too comfortable to move. So eventually he had to lift his hand from the seat.

Kira took the opportunity to sit down quickly. Even though Jake didn't mean to take his hand away she still thanked him. "It's nice to meet you, Jake." 

~

At the end of the school day, Kira decided to wait until it got dark to go home. She didn't understand why she did this and knew that it wasn't safe, but, she sat on the bench outside the entrance. She suddenly felt an aggressive tap on her shoulder. When Kira turned around she was surprised to see none other than Jake. She got up and faced him. "Hello again. How can I help you?" She greeted him.

"I was told to walk you home since the crime rates got higher in this city. And since you're new in the area, you're vulnerable to an attacker. I AM the toughest boy in this dumb school anyway so that explains why they chose me. Anyways let's go before it gets late. I don't want to be seen hanging around someone like you." He says smugly.

She started leading the way to her house, Jake trailing at a respectable distance behind. What's his problem? Am I that bad? Kira thought as she started to move at a slightly quicker pace. She put up her hoodie to stop her hair from blowing in the wind. 

"Hey, hold up. I'm supposed to protect you, remember?" Jake said in a mocking tone. Kira turned swiftly to look at him, a slightly annoyed expression on her face. Now the fluffy cat ears on her hoodie were visible to him. Jake started to laugh uncontrollably when he saw them. When he finally stopped, he looked up and wiped away a tear. 

Kira turned around again feeling a bit flustered. She didn't know what to say so she kept walking, at a slower pace just to tease Jake. 

~

They got to Kira's house and she faced him once again. She noticed the height difference between them. The top of her head only came up to his collarbone which she found nerve-racking. She had never met anyone so much taller than her. It was kind of exciting. Kira looked up at Jake and said "Thank you for walking me home, Jake. I appreciate it." And she gave him a cute smile.

Jake studied Kira's face. So she's heterochromatic huh... maybe she's cooler than I thought. Her right eye was green while her left one was a cyan color. Up until that moment, Jake didn't know how she actually looked. To be honest,  she didn't look bad. "Uh-huh." Jake grunts and walks away.

"Ah, wait up! Can we exchange phone numbers? You're my first friend since I've moved here so I want to keep in contact... is that okay?" Kira asks. Jake didn't know why, but he felt like he should.

"W-who said we're f-friends... whatever." Jake stuttered. He made his way to Kira, took her phone, and put his number in. He gave the phone back to her and stared at the two colors of her eyes. "Text me or whatever," he mumbled. 

Kira texted him 

*Hello! :)* 

Once Jake got the text he nodded and walked away. Kira sauntered into her house once he was out of sight and closed the door behind her, making sure to lock it. She gazed into her lonely living  room and decided that later in the week she would start decorating. She smiled and went up to her room.