Chapter 6

The next morning I was awoken by a good morning text from Parker. Ugh typical.

Good Morning. I can't wait to see your face again.

I sighed and didn't answer. Today wasn't going to be a fun day. I was trying to protect his feelings. But I could he wasn't going to understand. So I had to scare him away some how.

I walked out from my bedroom and saw May sitting on the couch. She immediately came over and hugged me.

"How was the rest of your sleep last night?" she asked.

"Ok," I answered.

I made it clear that I didn't want to go into detail of the events of last night. I hate talking about shit that scares me. But I knew that in a few days we'd be back on this topic. But I understood. She was looking out for me. Just like my sister had.

"What time are leaving to go meet the cute boy??" she asked wanting to know all the details.

I laughed a little.

"1:00pm, we're having lunch and taking a walk around the boardwalk," I said.

"Why exactly are you going out with him? You said you don't like him," she asked confused.

"I want him to know I'm not interested. But he hasn't gotten the memo yet. Maybe he'll get it this time," I said and crossed my fingers.

"But, this guy is cute and seems like, super into you...what's the issue?" she asked, still confused.

Shit. What lie was I going to make up now??

"Well, he's just not my type," I said and shrugged.

"Sure," she said sarcastically.

She wasn't going to let this one go. I glanced over towards the clock. It was 9:45am.

"I'm going to take a shower," I said and stood up from the couch.

"Ok, we're going shopping tomorrow for new clothes and bonding time. For now just grab something from my closet," she said.

"Ok thank you," I answered and walked towards the bathroom.

I felt completely comfortable around May now which was saying a lot. It usually took me a long time to get comfortable around people. But May was different. Maybe it was just because she reminded me of my sister in the best of ways.

I finished my shower and walked into my bedroom to get my bra and underwear. Then I walked across the hall to May's bedroom to get a pair of clothes. I found a pair of light wash, ripped skinny jeans, then paired it with a white t-shirt, and dark colored flannel. I went into her bathroom to see if there was anything I could do with my hair. I decided to just straighten and put it into a high pony tail. Then I put mascara and lip balm on and walked into the living room.

"Do I look okay?" I asked May.

"You look gorgeous!" she said and smiled.

"Thanks," I said and smiled a little.

I looked at my phone and it was 12:45. I grabbed my keys, waved goodbye to May and walked out the door. I got in my car and drove to the boardwalk. When I got there I noticed Parker sitting on a bench looking at his phone. I took in a deep breath, got out of my car, and walked towards Parker. When he saw me his crystal blue eyes lit up.

"You look beautiful!" he said and shouted towards me with his typical wide smile.

I rolled my eyes. I looked at him and he looked amazing. He was wearing a while v-neck with khakis. I looked away quickly. We started walking to the closest restaurant. I felt his eyes on me the whole time.

"Why are you staring at me?!" I said trying to sound bitchy and annoyed.

"Sorry. I can't help myself. You look stunning," he said and smiled, not at all affected by my bad attitude.

We walked in the restaurant and took a seat. He ordered a salad and I didn't order anything.

"Why didn't you order anything," he asked," taking a bite of his food.

"I'm not hungry," I lied.

If I eat, I won't die as quick.

"Ok...," he said clearly suspicious.

Once he was finished we walked out and started walking around the boardwalk.

"I meant it when I said you looked beautiful," he said and smiled at the ground.

"Oh shut up, I'm the ugliest thing who has ever walked on this planet," I said.

It was true. At least by my drunken father's standards.

Parker stopped in his tracks. He looked at me and grabbed my hands.

"You're gorgeous. Don't let anyone tell you different," he said and tucked a piece of hair that had fallen out of my pony tail, behind my ear.

We stayed standing there for awhile and he began to lean in to try to kiss me. I quickly backed away.

"I gotta go," I said.

He sighed.

"Ok, I'll see you later," he said.

"Bye," I said and sighed.

I got in my car regretting all the decisions I had just made.