a new soldier ready from the pitch

THE DA MEETINGS became quite awkward after that. Rumours spread quite quickly, and once again, Wendy Stone was subject to gossip around the castle. It didn't surprise her much, but it was weird to receive comments of approval from Dolores.

"I've heard of what happened with mr. Diggory," she said one day during class, no else, "It is good that it ended. Relationships are just a distraction from what really is important —your studies."

It was embarassing having her love life being the topic of discussion for a class. She did her best to avoid any thought related to that, but Dolores, oh dear dumb Dolores, with her high chuckles and bright annoying pink clothes, couldn't just let it be. She just hoped that she didn't mention it also to other classes... that would be dreadful.

"Don't mind her, Wendy," Hermione whispered.

"I try not to," she sighed.

Classes dragged dreadfully long, but soon enough the students were finally free to go, Harry and the whole Gryffindor team got ready to play the first match of the year. Wendy was quite excited but she was worried for Harry and the twins. That might be their last game before Umbridge would ban them from it. But as always, Wendy wasn't going to let it happen.

She only hoped that Draco would have been kinder and not mock Ron, but she couldn't let it go simply to faith. She had to work herself.

Before the players could enter the pitch, Wendy decided to pay a visit to the Slytherin team. To no surprise, she was greeted by a lot of bad eyes.

"Malfoy," Adrian Pucey called for his teammate without getting his stern eyes off of the girl, "your little lioness is here."

At that, Draco looked over his shoulder, surprised to see Wendy there. With just a few long steps he grabbed Wendy's arm to bring her out.

"What are you doing here?" he asked urgently, "You're not allowed to be here."

"Because I'm a Gryffindor?"

"Yes!" Draco looked around, "What do you want?"

"Please, be kind out there," She begged him.

The boy scoffed, "And here I thought you would have asked me to be careful."

Wendy sighed, "of course, but— please, don't do anything unnecessary."

Draco looked into her eyes, the image of her that night during the third task, not fading from his mind.

"I won't."

"Are you okay?" Lavender Brown tapped Wendy on her shoulder when she was back by the bleachers, "I've heard that Umbridge mentioned what happened between you and Cedric... It must have been hard."

Wendy was quite speechless to hear someone ask her directly. Ginny has been quite a sweetheart to keep everyone from mentioning anything around her, but the girl was on standby to enter the game whenever needed. Not to say, that grabbed the attentions of quite a few people around her, and Wendy wasn't sure how to answer.

"I think it's best if we focus on the game," Wendy said.

"Oh, of course," Lavender nodded understandingly, "I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

"Thank you, Lavender," Wendy smiled at her, "I'm quite alright."

Before she could go back to watching the game, Wendy dared to steal a look from a few rows ahead, where Cedric stood. The boy was looking at the scene, but as soon as he met Wendy's eyes he turned back to the game.