₰Traugott₰

                I don’t dare touch her, but my heart nearly breaks at her sobs.  As Maxen wraps his arms around her, I sit quietly and steal a glance at Calanthe, who has yet to even acknowledge my arrival.  She really is beautiful, and her soft words at our last parting- I love you- burn in my mind. 

                But what is a Madame without a Master?  I wrack my brain for any memory of a Master ruling without his Madame, or a Madame reigning without her Master, but none come.  Surely the elves, who hold tradition in highest esteem, would not break such a custom.

                Maxen.  Maxen must have been named Master.

                Calanthe must have read my shock, because she stands and touches my shoulder.  “Come, let us talk of it quietly.” 

                We go through an arch and find ourselves confronted with a rather long table and a dozen chairs.  I pull one out for her, and my heart leaps when a whisper of a smile crosses her delicate face. 

                “Traugott, much as happened, much we didn’t want,” she begins.  “Maxen and Kaitra came back from battle in the mountains of Bishat with a hope that Kaitra could use her bloodline, prophesy, and circlet to convince the elves to mount a rebellion against Granziar and rejoin us.  They wanted me to go, as Honorable Urien’s daughter, to show the united front Yuragwyn has.  Eglantine must have leaked the strain between Lord Cadfael, my father, and you.” 

                She stops suddenly and looks at me.  I nod.  It is the truth: I do not stand well with either at the moment, and Master Hulderic’s blessing is likely the only thing keeping me in the army at all.

                “Master called for Kaitra, and we all went to pay our respects.  He told her much and revealed much.  He asked her to lay down her bitterness and take up courage, which she is doing.  She is not the same girl who went to Granziar, Traugott.  Give her time. 
                “Master Hulderic sent us, with his blessing, to carry out our plan.  We came swiftly on flying pegasuses and only saw the enemy once, threading through the mountains.  We know not when they will arrive.  Once here, we changed and met with the elves in the village commons.  Kaitra, frightened, took Maxen’s hand for comfort, and when the elves asked her to become their Madame, they extended the Mastership to Maxen, calling Kaitra his flower.”

                “And is she?” I whisper quietly. 

                Calanthe cranes her neck for a glance at Kaitra, still crying, and Maxen, still holding her.  “I know not.”

                I change the subject rapidly, for I am not ready to entertain such ideas.  “Tell me more of what happened with the elves.  Surely she did not walk in and take the Madameship immediately.”

                “Oh no, no.  Kaitra came with a dainty message, asking after her heritage and hoping to endear the people to her.  The elves, though, saw clearly through her words and began a different tale.  They told her of the prophesy writ and the dagger forged.”

                “And she knew nothing of these beforehand?” I ask, shocked.

                “No.”

                I close my eyes and groan softly.  All this time, I have held against her knowledge she never knew.  I have treated her like a liar and thought of her bitterness as defiance and cockiness. 

                “Traugott, she knows now also.  Master Hulderic shared this too with her,” Calanthe says.  She smiles comfortingly and takes my scraped hand in her smooth one.  “After the tale of her history, another elf told why Agleton joined Granziar: Cyneric has promised them choice of Yuragwynian leaders and self-rule if the elves will allow Granziar to purge this government.”

                “They cannot believe such falsehoods!” I exclaim, banging the table and standing.  “Cyneric will do no such thing!”

                Calanthe grips my arm and pulls me down into my seat.  “The walls may have ears.”

                A strong rap at the store proves true her words.  Frantic, Calanthe takes a rope from her pack and ties me to the chair before hustling a tear-stained Kaitra off to an inner room.  Maxen dusts himself off and opens the door.

                I shake in fury against my bonds, taking a moment to marvel at Calanthe’s knot.  Cyneric leans casually in, and Calanthe ducks back as his hand brushes her face gently.  “My soldiers are ready to meet with the great and honorable Madame Kaitra,” he says dramatically. 

                Maxen inclines his head a grain.  “When Madame has rested from her travels, she will come.”

                Cyneric straightens a bit, and even from three rooms away, I can see the glint of shock in his eyes.  But, he masks it with a flourish, turns, and backs away. 

                Maxen shuts the door as quickly as he dares and strides over to me.  Making quick work of the bonds that hold me down, he helps me to stand.  I grip his forearm tightly, “It has been too long, Maxen.”

                “But in length you have kept healthy and safe.  Today is a peaceful day,” Maxen responds. 

                I snort very softly, “Let us see if we can redeem it as such.”

                Maxen laughs merrily, and his tone reminds me of our childhood in Lax, when every day truly was peaceful.  I remember sitting around against young trees, tossing rocks at large boulders, and wondering when anything interesting would ever happen to our overgrown selves.  If our younger selves could see us- or rather, who and what is left of us- would they have gone out to join the army the day they grew whiskers? 

                “I miss them also, Traugott,” Maxen whispers, sobered.  “But if we don’t do something , many more Yuragwynians will become wraiths as well.  Please, come speak to Kaitra.  She needs you.”

                I follow him to the room and hesitate at the handle.  With a soft knock and her permission, I open the door quietly.  “Hello, Madame.”

                A croak I believe was supposed to be a laugh escapes her dry, cracked lips, “Just Kaitra, please.” 

                I nod and sit down at the foot of the bed, “How are you?”

                “I feel better now, I suppose, with all the emotions finally spewed out of me,” she smiles.  After a pause, she leans a bit further towards me, “Traugott, I’m...”

                Calanthe rushes in, “You must come now, right now!  Cyneric has spotted Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys’s troops and is purple with rage.”