Chapter One

This book is dedicated to those who say that "you should just enjoy it" and to anyone who is victim-blaming.

Daniel

I couldn't see much. The only streetlight that was on the bridge was not close to me, and the clouds were hiding the moonlight. But I could make out the dark water running underneath me. I felt the concrete of the railing eat away at my skin as I gripped it harder, but instead of moving I let my shoulders slump and exhaled with a sob.

The lights of a car flashed as someone drove closer to the bridge. They were briefly on me and then they were gone. They drove off and I was left in the darkness alone.

I brought my arm up and silently wiped away the tears and rain from my face. A shiver travelled down my spine as the pouring got heavier, but I didn't mind it. It didn't matter. My soaking wet clothes didn't matter. The fact that I was cold didn't matter. Nothing mattered.

I took a few calming deep breaths and tried to push away, but in the last second, I hesitated. Once again I saw light to my right and the purring of a motorcycle echoed and then stopped right behind me. I didn't dare turn around. My heart was beating loudly, and I stayed silent, hoping that the motorcyclist would drive away.

"What are you doing?" a gruff voice asked, making me let out a shaky breath. It was unfamiliar. "Are you gonna jump?"

"Yes?" I replied while pulling my leg up to where I sat on the ledge.

The rain was muffling the person's footsteps, but in a matter of seconds, I could make out their form with my peripheral vision. I tried my hardest not to turn my head to look.

"God..." the word barely managed to fall off their lips as they saw me a little bit better. They took half a step closer and then slowly offered me a gloved hand. "My name's Ev".

I said nothing. I turned my head to the water again. And I tried to push away again. But I couldn't. I let out a pained breath. Why couldn't I? I turned one of my hands into a fist and hit it against the cement ledge, the jolt of pain that the impact caused going through me immediately. I sobbed.

"Are you hungry?" Ev asked, having moved just a hair's breadth away closer to me. "Because if you are, I know this amazing pizzeria that's really close. I can take you there. It's really warm..." Ev went on.

"Why are you still here?" I asked, finally turning my head to them.

I really couldn't see much. Ev wore dark clothes and a leather jacket. Black hair covered their eyes and I could barely make out some tattoos on their neck.

"Because I don't want to know someone who died today".

I don't want to die today.

"My name's Daniel," I said, at last taking the hand that was still extended toward me.

"So... how about that pizza?"

I didn't hold their hand for too long. I let go and felt my stomach growl. My eyes moved down to the water again. The rain hadn't let up, but it hadn't gotten worse either. Eventually, I gave in to my stomach's demands, and slowly turned around and set my feet on the bridge again.

I saw Ev ease as I came to stand and look at them. A hint of a smile danced on their lips and then Ev climbed onto the motorcycle and looked at me expectantly. I hesitated, but then eventually I took a deep breath and climbed on behind them.

"Hold on, Daniel," Ev said and as soon as I had my arms tightly around their waist, they drove off.

The drive wasn't long, and it wasn't because Ev drove fast. The pizzeria was really close. It was a small establishment with just a handful of booths and fluorescent lights. The neon lights over the door read "Leonidas's Pizza". Unsure, I turned to look at Ev.