Chapter 7: Rainy nights

A week later

Mary's pov:

        I found myself sitting on my couch staring at the window for no reason at all. I broke from my daydream and stood up hoping I could take a walk. Of course I knew it was raining but I mean a little rain can't stop me. I put on my raincoat and took my umbrella who was bickering with the canes. I told him to hush and the next thing I knew I had found myself not using my umbrella and just staring at my reflection in a little pond. I looked around wondering how in the world I had gotten into such an unfamiliar area. I scratched  my head when I finally noticed that I was soaking wet and that my makeup was running down my pale cheeks. My coat was drenched and whatever part of my blouse or skirt was poking out was drenched as well.

"Don't mean to disturb your moment Mary Poppins but I'm an umbrella for a reason" my umbrella said trying to get to me

"Yes, yes my apologies" I said opening him up and using him the way he shall be used. 

"I'm sure your wondering on how you got her and honestly I don't even how. We just kept walking as you looked at the stars naming every single one. Then we got to a pond and you stopped and just looked at your reflection. I tried to tell you that you were drenched but ya weren't listening." He said looking at me with his beady eyes

"Oh" I said not knowing how to respond to my actions.

"We must be pretty far from home though since we've been walking for ages though"

"Oh my!" I said looking at the watch on my wrist. It was 1 in the morning and I wondered really how far I was from home.

"We came from that way if you wan't starters" the umbrella said pointing behind us

I followed that path and just kept walking until I saw anything familiar. Ever since the incident I had been very distant and I couldn't put my finger on why. This feeling of being detached from reality scared me. I wondered if this feeling might be because I had broken a rule. No, no it couldn't be I thought to myself. I just kept walking brushing away any negative thoughts that would come to my head. I finally noticed that I had wondered into a familiar street that had the most beautiful cherry blossoms. Cherry Tree Lane.  I smiled as I looked at the house that held some of my fondest memories. Who knew how long I stood there but I just did, well that was until I was interrupted. 

"Mary Poppins is that you?" I froze recognizing the voice immediately. I turn around to see the one and only Jane Banks. I smile and start heading towards the girl standing under the lamp.

"Oh it is you!" She says with excitement as she claps her hands. "May I ask what your doing on a late night like this?"

"Just going out on a walk" I reply rather straightforward if I must say. "May I ask the same of you?" I say lifting up an eyebrow

She turned red and put her head down a bit "just returning from a date with a special someone I met"

I smile and I looked up at her with eyes that told that I knew everything. "This special someone must be a very lucky man" I say winking. She laughs and we say our goodbyes as I head off into the rain.

I was only a few blocks away when I was splashed with water from behind. I turn around to scold whoever was behind this until I see his bright, brown eyes. I giggle and put my head down at his look. 

"Up for a little fun Mary Poppins?" He asks looking at me and then to the sky. 

"I'm sorry but it getting rather late and I need to-" I was cut off by another splash that Jack had thrown. I gasp at the mess and look at Jack who is rolling on the ground laughing. I smile and throw a splash back at him. I felt like a child running in the schoolyard playing with their friends. We kept splashing each other until I got tired which led to me falling into his arms. I stayed in his embrace as we swayed with the beautiful sound of majestic rain drops falling on to the ground. 

"Its getting rather late now isn't it?" Jack says. I was too tired to reply so I just smiled and he took me by the waist and we walked home drenched from the rain. All the way home Jack whistled, He kept whistling in the rain.