Chapter 2: Bike rides

Mary's pov:

       I woke up that morning in a happy mood and a big smile on my face. I woke up and immediately started getting ready. I put on a white button up shirt with a red polka dotted skirt. I did my everyday make up look and put my hair up into it's curls that I wear everyday. I headed down my stairs and poured myself a cup of tea and and an early morning sandwich. 

"Happy day today huh?" said the teapot as I sipped my tea

"Yes, I'm going out today actually with a friend" I replied smiling

"It's the Jack boy she was talking too!"

"Oh really, such a handsome man ain't he Mary?"

I turned red not wanting to agree since it was only a day of us going out as friends. "I suppose you could say that, yes." 

I finished up eating and I started tidying up the kitchen when a knock interrupted my cleaning. I walked towards the door to find Jack smiling ear to ear.

"Good mornin Mary Poppins! Ready?" he said looking behind me to find the kitchen door open.

I looked behind me to the kitchen and smiled "Just a minute" I said as I closed the door and went to finish up the kitchen. I could hear Jack whistling outside and my heart started doing flips. I told myself no and got my navy blue coat and my red top hat. I opened the door and stepped out to find Jack waiting on his bike

"Hope there's room for both of us" he winked

"I do hope there is" I said strictly

He chuckled and I hoped on putting my bag on my lap. We rode threw the beautiful London streets and only stopped to look at the view around us. I stared at the beautiful cherry trees that lined the streets and the leaves that fell which lifted up when you drove by. We spent the entire morning together in the park and wondering around London discussing many topics. 

"I remember when I was just a boy wondering threw these streets Mary Poppins. I would always hear the tales from a jolly man about a women who was made of magic and happiness. He would tell me all about how she was indeed practically perfect in every way."

I looked at him to find his big brown eyes staring at me when glee. I smiled and looked at the buildings around us

"Now I wonder who this might be" I said shaking my head while laughing a little. I stopped and straightened myself. You are an adult Mary so start acting like one I thought to myself.

He laughed and looked down at his feet "Bert was a nice man" I stopped at the sound of his name.

"Bert?" I asked

"Yes, did you know him?" 

"He was an old friend of mine" I said with a straight face that soon turned into a smile. Soon I started walking again only to find Jack trying to catch up to me. We had completely forgotten about visiting Topsy until we arrived at her door. I smiled and knocked on the door hoping for an answer. We waited patiently and in silence as I knocked again hoping she would answer this time. Finally she opened the door. 

"Cousin Mary! And Jack! Oh how nice is it to see you both, come in, come in." We walked in to her house and sat at the table she had been previously fixing something on.

We talked for hours on hours and we also helped her finish fixing a few things that she had been putting off. She poured us some juice and mini sandwiches that I surprisingly enjoyed. Topsy soon turned to her record player and put on the song "Someday I'll find you" which she thought was fitting for the moment. Jack turned red but I sat there not understanding what she meant.

"May you explain cousin Topsy?" I asked looking at her then to Jack

she looked at Jack and they both exchanged looks before giving me an answer. 

"Nevermind that" she said shaking her hands "Lets just dance"

"No thank yo-" I said before I was cut off by Jack

He cleared his throat "come on Mary Poppins, it's your day off enjoy it!" 

"Very well then" I said sighing and standing up

Topsy smiled and brought the stuff to her kitchen while me and Jack stood there in silence. He grabbed my gloved hand and asked for a dance. My cheeks must have been red as my skirt since he laughed and pointed at my face.

"A bit flustered huh?" he chuckled

"I don't know what you mean" I said crossing my arms and giving him the look

"Here let me show you" he grabbed my waist but I stepped back in fear that I would do something wrong. "I'm not going to hurt you Mary Poppins" he said smiling "put your hands on my shoulder and you'll see."

I put my arms on his shoulders and he grabbed my waist. We swayed and swayed for who knows how long. I felt comfortable and I closed my eyes and laid my head on his shoulder. I started daydreaming about the cherry blossoms again and the birds that flew in the sky over the cathedral. I started thinking of the banks family and what they may be doing at the moment and if they are well. I started thinking how I would wonder the parks at night to get deep breathes and to make the most of my time alone. Alone. I started thinking of the bike rides that I have has so far which soon somehow drifted into thoughts of my childhood and the day I discovered my abilities. I finally remembered rule number one, never get attached. I snapped back to reality and I could feel a beat near my chest and I couldn't tell if it was mine or his. I started sniffling and I soon removed myself from Jacks hold to find Topsy and Jack staring at me with concern.

"Is everything alright?" Topsy asked standing up from where she was sitting

I wiped my nose and smiled making sure I was okay. "Yes everything is okay, thank you for asking" I said and I looked at the clock and gasped. "Oh my we must get going it's very late" I said grabbing my coat and bag. "Oh!" I said smiling "do you have the banks bowl Topsy?" 

"Yes!" she said jumping up "Here you go" she said handing it over and smiling at Jack. I grabbed the bowl and thanked Topsy for a good evening

"Well" Jack said clapping "let's get going" 

I started walking off and out the door with Jack right behind me.

Jack's pov:

 I started off out the door when I felt a tug on my arm that pulled me  back.

"Take care of her Jack" Topsy said looking at me with serious eyes

"What?" I said concerned

"Mary. She always tends to others which makes her forget about taking care of herself" she said looking behind me at Mary who was heading towards the door. 

I smiled staring at the goddess who was walking right in front of me. "I will" I promised and giving Topsy a bow. She smiled and Mary and I were off in the night.

We hoped on the bike and I smiled as she looked around at the scenery. It seemed that Mary had her mind on something and I didn't want to bother her. She also seemed to have an obsession with the cherry blossoms. Mary was clueless about my feeling towards her and I was kind of thankful. I asked Topsy last night to see if she could get some way to get me closer to Mary since she was such a perfect woman. We finally arrived at the banks house and she flew up to their balcony and left the bowl in the children's room. I waited outside for at least 30 minutes until I went to the balcony to find Mary observing the children from the corner of the room, she missed them. I climbed up and grabbed her hand which led her to turning around with red cheeks. I smiled and held her hand tighter but she walked past me and started heading down on the ladder

"Its getting late now, isn't it?" she asked.