Chapter 1.

The Yellowstone Dutton Ranch; a vacation for some, a prison for others. It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like; once you're in, you're in for life. Booze, bulls, and bad decisions have made wranglers come to this ranch and get dropped off at the train station when it was time to go, if you're lucky enough.

It's a breezy, cold autumn morning in Montana. A bright blue eyed Katie Dutton makes her way quietly to the coffee pot, trying not to wake others in the process. She yawns, rubbing the sleep away from her eyes while looking at the clock. 3:30 am. Katie throws her head back before putting on a fresh pot of coffee to start the day. Shuffling her feet across the floor she opens a pack of cigarettes before lifting the cancer stick to her plump chapped lips. The flame of the lighter illuminates her nose and eyes. She takes in a long drag, holding it a little longer than the rest. Finally, some relaxation compared to the day and night before. Sure, it was tough working on a ranch but the lonely east Montana nights are what hurt her the most. Yeah she's had men in her bed, moving in and out like a revolving door but it wasn't that. It's the flashbacks of battle grounds in Afghanistan that haunts her dreams making her feel alone with no one that shares the same issues.

"Morning sunshine," Lloyd mumbles from behind her, earning a jump.

"Jesus fuck. I didn't even notice you got up," She chuckles taking a few more puffs of her cigarette before putting it out.

"Yeah, you've been in La La Land for a bit," He smiles pouring two cups of coffee.

"You're a Saint," Katie comments as Lloyd hands her a steaming cup of coffee. The two sit quietly, enjoying a peaceful cup of coffee around the table.

"Four. Time to wake the boys," Katie groans standing along with Lloyd.

They make their way around the room, waking up the other wranglers.

"Wakey Wakey," Katie grins sitting on the edge of Ryan's bed with a cup of coffee. He stirs slightly with a groan. "Cmon now, Parrish. Your coffee is getting cold. Also, Rip will be in here soon. I don't want him to kick both our asses."

Ryan moans and sits up, rubbing his face with a yawn. "Thank you," He smiles a bit while taking the coffee into his hands.

"You're very welcome. We have a long day today. I'll be with Lee and Dad a majority of it. Apparently the cattle got over on the Res," She sighs biting her lip. "So, no sneaking off to check for ticks," Katie winks.

"After last night, I need a break. I think I tore a hammy," Ryan says rubbing his thigh.

Katie throws her head back laughing as he admires her features. The way her eyes light up like the stars in the sky. The way her dimples frame her smile and soft quiet snorts.

"Get ready, cowboy, we have shit to do," She shakes her head and stands up. Taking off her shirt she faces the bunk, exposing her bare chest. Ryan almost grunts and spits a little of his coffee out as she puts on a bra.

"All choked up, kid?" Fred laughs from behind Katie.

Katie smirks at Ryan before walking into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

"You have the brand?" Colby asks watching as Katie puts on her blue jeans after quickly brushing her teeth.

"I do," She smiles reaching for her tank top.

"Why?" He questions sliding into his boots.

"I did some shady shit to get here back in the day. Dad got me on the chest when I was 17. Burnt like a sum'bitch," She swallows hard pulling on her flannel.

"Why?" He cocks a brow as other join the two in the main area.

"I joined the Marines after a few fights," She chuckles buttoning up her flannel before putting on her hat.