chapter i » boarding school b*tch

September 3rd, 1992

September 3rd, 1992

* 3rd person POV

"So you're telling me you haven't seen her in 10 years?" Ben asked dumbfounded.

Richie gritted his teeth and kicked at the grass below his feet. "In my defence, we talked on the phone like once a week or something. But when we got older, she had to go to boarding school, and all the new academic bullsh*t had her busier than when she was at the private school. I guess since she had so much on her schedule, we had a hard time finding time for each other and eventually stopped talking." Ben nodded understandably. Eddie, already knowing the story, was sitting at the picnic table quietly and eating his apple.

"You still haven't talked to Y/N in six years," Stan budded in, "and you never went once to visit, not even over the holidays."

Mike, who had zoned out, snapped back to reality upon hearing this. "Wait, really?"

"That's 'cause my dad's a d*ck." The boy countered. "He wasn't willing to drive all the way. My mom wanted to, almost as much as I did, and she's not even Y/N's real family."

Bill cleared his throat, attempting to veer the conversation towards a more positive topic. "Listen, that must've really s–su–sucked for her, but at least she's coming back in a few days... right?"

"Y/N gets to transfer from her rich kid school to this sh*thole, meeting her trashmouth brother's idiot friends? Sounds like a dream come true to me." The shortest of the group said sarcastically.

"Actually, she's meeting you four idiots and me." Stan corrected Eddie's statement. This comment earned him a groan from the boys whom he'd insulted.

"Whatever," Richie sighed, "technically she doesn't have to come back, so she can't be against the idea that much."

September 7th - First Day of School

"I thought she was supposed to be here f–for the beginning of the year." Bill inquired as he set his food stray down onto the table.

"I heard they hit a load of traffic on their way into New Hampshire," Richie answered.

Bill repeatedly stabbed his fork into his mac 'n' cheese as he spoke. "Shouldn't she b-be here by now, though?"

"I dunno," Richie replied, almost inaudibly, due to the mouthful of sandwich he hadn't bothered to swallow before talking. Eddie slapped him on the shoulder, as he often did, to show that he was aggravated. Richie took that as his cue to chew louder, smacking his mouth right next to Eddie's ear.

"Oh my god! Do you have any idea how disgusting that is?" Eddie screeched. Stan rolled his eyes at his two friends, who were now pushing at each other.

"Stop chewing like that, you're getting your spit on me!" The asthmatic boy half-yelled. "My shirt is getting wet!"

"Not as wet as your mom—

"Holy f*cking sh*t, for Christ's sake!"

    The boys all turned—along with the rest of the students, to see who had yelled a string of such vulgar words for all to hear. At the other end of the cafeteria stood a y/c-haired (your colour) girl in a school uniform. Her clothes were covered in food, and in front of her stood an apologetic-looking guy who'd seemingly run into her. Despite the harsh language that had previously left her mouth, she picked up the boy's tray and handed it to him. She forgave him and assured him that it was a mere accident.

Richie pushed his glasses further up the bridge of his nose. "Y/N?"

* Word count: 594 *