prologue » disfunctional, but happy

The Tozier household was a perfect example of how the ideal American family was nothing but a myth. Maggie and Wentworth Tozier had been high school sweethearts, but now they were anything but.

The year was 1980, the pair had two four-year-old children of three months difference. You might wonder how this is possible—well, it's quite simple: Though both children were Wentworth's, only one of them was Maggie's child.

First came Richard, born the month of March 1976. Then, towards the end of May, Y/N was born. She had been a product of a one-nighter between Mr. Tozier and Shelley Hoffman, a woman he met at the local bakery. Wentworth had only learnt of Y/N when the news of Shelley's death by childbirth spread throughout Derry.

Maggie let Wentworth and Y/N stay in the house, despite the fact that she was almost certain that her husband would cheat on her once again, and Y/N was a constant reminder of it. They were known by Derry as the dysfunctional family, given their many other odd quirks, but they didn't seem to care. Richie and Y/N grew up to be best friends, bonding over time. Though as all good things do, that came to an end.

It came as a surprise to the Tozier family that Y/N's maternal grandparents were quite rich. They disapproved strongly of the Toziers, taking them to court—not to fight for custody, but for her to go first to a private school and then a boarding school in Connecticut. What wasn't a surprise, was that they won the legal battle. She was to be sent six hours away to stay there for ten years. The Toziers were given a couple of years with their daughter, but as soon as she hit six-years-old she was to leave.

The day she had to leave came sooner than later, and it left her feeling broken.

"Don't worry, honey," Maggie assured, "we'll come and visit you for Christmas each year. You and Richie can talk on the phone as often as you'd like."

* Word count: 354 *