Chapter 3

The last Saturday before the girl's scheduled departure their parents decided to throw a goodbye dinner; a big, festive dinner. Anabella loved those dinners and those people. Everybody was so opinionated. Main courses were the battlefields and yet they loved each other by the time the desserts arrived. Anabella's sister and cousins got lucky with their spouses, they were easy going, and they all get along splendidly. Her nieces and nephews were good kids too. Anabella was the only one in that generation without a husband and children. Well, at least she almost got married. She had even imagined Christopher's and her children. There were supposed to be four of them running around in her parent's living room during those festive dinners. Anabella hoped that nobody would mention him anymore as she passed through the orchard to the parent's house. The spring flowers were gone from the trees and the tiny fruit buds appeared on some of them.

Everybody arrived earlier. Anabella walked into the kitchen amid platters carrying. "Hi Mom! Hello everybody!" she did the dutiful round of giving hugs and kisses to the members of the family.

The family was excited about their adventure, but Anabella still did not fully appreciate that feeling. Also, her mother was prostrated with concerns about her daughters and the only grandson. "I don't know girls," Mom shook her head left and right while scooping dumplings from the pot onto a platter, "I am a little afraid for you children. How I wish a man were going with you. I really don't know Jessica how Matt lets you go away like this all alone. After all, nobody was there before, to tell us how it is. You don't know what you're getting yourself into and it's so far away. Will your cell phones work there?"

"I am a grown-up woman," Jess answered dipping the spoon in a meat sauce to taste it. "I don't need anybody's permission to do what I want to do. Matt is incredibly supportive of my work; he knows it's sometimes unconventional. I am sure Aleksey has a satellite phone at his farm. After all Dr. Stuart was in communication with him and set up everything. I think everybody exaggerates a little bit. I don't think there is such a place like the end of the world anymore. We have globalization now. We are all connected." Jessica poured the sauce into a deep dish and left the kitchen.

"I agree my child," their dad chimed in as he collided with her in the doorway, "It shouldn't be that bad. Simple, but enough to survive. I wish I were younger I would go with you. Anything else to carry?" he looked around expectantly.

"We'll scope the place for you, maybe we will send you and Mom on vacation there next year," Anabella laughed. Matt walked in for another platter.

"Just call when you need to be rescued and we will get you out immediately," he smiled at Jessica who just walked in. "You know honey how much I need you. You make the best pierogis with potatoes. No offense Helen." Matt hugged his mother in law and kissed his wife, "Just take care of our son, he's my smartest one."

"I am your only son Dad!" Kevin screamed from the TV den overhearing the conversation.

"Alright girls, everything is on the table," Aunt Lucille said walking into the kitchen, "Let us sit down to dinner."

At the table, the conversation continued. Who knew Siberia was such an intriguing place that it heated up the atmosphere in the Novak's household? Everything was scrutinized, the history, natural resources, wild fauna and flora, and vodka of course.

"Beware young ladies," The great Uncle Vladislav spoke pointing his fork full of meat at Anabella and Jessica, "One gulp and you're done. This stuff is like 80% alcohol if not more. You're not used to that. So, beware and don't lose your consciousness or you don't know what they can do to you," he finished and finally took a bite off his fork. Everybody laughed, but many agreed with him saying that nobody can beat Russians in drinking straight vodka.