Detail

Details. Fanfiction. Details and Fanfiction. These two don't mix often, and when they do they usually don't mix well. 

So many Authors have stories with an uncanny amount of details. As an avid writer I know how important details are. But when you put too many details readers get lost in the story and dragged away from the plot. 

OR

There are no details. None. Maybe a little but not enough. Details help the readers visualize the story and really feel it.

So, how do you find the perfect in-between? Find something that works for you. I tend to be on the side with too many details, but some people struggle to have lots. Find a balance. If you usually have very little details, try to add more. If you usually have a lot, try and cut back a little. 

Too many details:

As the beautifully stunning Black haired green eyed Jessica walked across the sunny beautiful green grass, she smiled a huge smile that spread all the way across her face, from eye to eye. She stopped by the Dark, mysterious, deep blue lake and put her tiny delicate feet in the cold Crystal blue water. She felt the huge, slippery, lovable yet scary Giant Squid glide past her, tickling the bottom of her sensitive feet making her giggle a melodious sweet and beautiful sound like a little bell being rung. 

Seriously. Did we need to know all of that? We get in, she walked across the grass, smiled, sat by the lake, and felt the Giant Squid go by. Idk about you guys, but I feel like that was unnecessary details. 

Not enough details:

Cassiopeia walked down the hall and went to class. She listen to the teacher talk and took notes. Then at the end she got up and talked to her best friend on the way to her next class. 

Urgh! That was sooo boring to read. Plots move too fast when authors don't include enough.

Also, space out details. Don't include tons of details at the boring parts and little to none in the action packed parts. We need details throughout, though it's most important to have them during action because that both gives the reader a better idea of what happened and builds a bit of suspense for what's going to happen. 

Yay! Two in one today! Anyway, I don't know if I made any mistakes or forgot to mention anything here, so feel free to correct me. OCs, plots, and more things wrong with fiction can be submitted for me to review or talk about. Thanks for reading! 💖