"Of course." I say. I finished organizing my assignment and then I walked up to her desk, stapled it together, and put it neatly in the turn-in box.

"Thank you sweetheart. I just want to talk to you." She says, smiling at me when I handed in my work.

Mrs. Montgomery was by far my favourite teacher at this school. Not only was she super sweet and kind but she also happened to teach my favourite subject. She always showed up to class with a bright smile on her face and was very patient and understanding.

I've showed up late to her class because of Sage at least a million times and not once has she ever gotten me in trouble.

"How was your day, Ainsley?" She asks, looking genuinely interested in how my day could've been.

"It was good, thank you. I got my math test back and I passed with flying colours!" I say happily. She claps her hands. "That's wonderful, dear." She says nicely.

"Now I won't beat around the bush Ainsley. You're far too shy." She says. I blush and look down. I was not expecting that.

"Now, now sweetheart, there's nothing to be ashamed of. I too used to be just like you." She says. This makes me look up.

"Really?" I ask.

"Well sure. I had 1 close friend who I could speak to but I never was a social butterfly." She says. I giggle a little at the thought of Mrs. Montgomery being shy. She was one of the most outgoing people I had ever met. Though I hadn't met many people to begin with.

"Now I was told to talk to a few students in my classes about this. Don't think I'm singling you out. The high school division of our school is hosting a Big Brothers and Big Sisters event. I considered you for this because I think you could really use someone to help get you out of your shell." She says. Her face showed nothing but sincerity.

I struggled with an answer.

She obviously was hoping I was going to agree. I just don't know if I want to.

"You have the weekend to think about it, Darling. I don't want you to feel pressured into anything. I only asked because I have your best interest at heart and I really think you could benefit greatly from this. You're a special girl, Ainsley." She spoke softly when she noticed the look of confliction in my eyes.

I sighed in relief as I was unable to give an actual answer at the moment.

"Thank you Miss." I say, grateful for her even caring about me in the first place. Nobody ever has.

"I'll give you the pamphlet and I'd really like for you to take it home and read it over. I know this might not seem like something you'd want to do, but I think you could really end up liking it." She said, ruffling through her dozens of paper stacks scattered across her desk. As well put together as she looked, Mrs. Montgomery was a complete train wreck.

She finally found the pamphlet and handed it to me with a hopeful look on her face.

"I hope you'll consider it. Have a good night, Ainsley." She said.

I smiled back at her and folded the pamphlet away into my small backpack before turning on my heels and all but sprinting out of the school.

School was awful, but it was still an escape from home.

The orphanage was a corrupt place. I've been in my current centre for 3 years now and I've seen people come and go, including building inspectors and social workers.

Nobody has ever noticed the chips in the paint from young girls and boys tallying their stay at the horrid facility. Nobody saw the way the supposed caregivers would act when they were alone with us.