chapter 6

a

a. evans

I sat on the hospital bed clutching the sheets tightly as Emerald pulled out a bandaid and a wet wipe. Lachlan sat in the corner of the room in a chair, staring at me intensely. I chose to ignore his gaze and focus on my hand.

"Alright I'll just use the wet wipe to clean up the blood and then apply the band aid. This won't hurt." Emerald told me. I hesitantly nodded at him and put my hand in his, allowing him to do as he said.

My eyes don't leave his hands until he's finished putting the bandaid on. He may be a doctor but that doesn't mean he wouldn't hurt me too. There are no exceptions.

"Good job, Cutie. Be a little more careful next time, alright?" He tells me, appearing sincere. I half smile at him and nod my head.

"Now that you're all fixed up, I'd really like to ask you a few questions if that's alright?" He asks me calmly, his eyebrows raising slightly in question as if to ask 'please?'

"Ok." I say simply. I didn't want to be rude but I also was not eager to explain how I ended up passed out on the sidewalk. I need an excuse. I scrounged my brain for an idea and almost came up short when something finally came to mind.

"Good! I'll start simple by asking you for your name?" He says, pulling up a chair next to the hospital bed so he could talk to me face to face. He leaned out of the chair with his elbows on his knees and offered me a comforting smile.

"My name's Ainsley." I said, slightly intending my shoulders when he didn't just dive right into the harder questions.

"Well it's nice to meet you, Ainsley." He says, offering me his hand. I shook it politely and inwardly giggled. His hand was gigantic.

"And how old are you, Ainsley?" He asked another question.

"I turned 13 a few months ago!" I said chirpily. I don't like my birthday but I did like that I was officially a teenager. Though I can definitely say the movies have glamourized adolescence way too much.

Emerald's eyes sparkled in amusement and I tilted my head in confusion.

"What?" I asked him.

"I've never seen such a small 13 year old." He muses. My smile wipes off my face and is replaced by a look of unamused misery.

"Second time today." I grumble, thinking about how Xanthe had said the exact same thing to me. Do people not have filters any more? What if I had a medical condition that made me small? What if I was deathly insecure about my height and that was my last straw?

I finish my inner rant and turn to look at Emerald whose eyes shone with amusement and lips were turned upwards in a slight smirk.

"Hush." I state, cheeks flaming in embarrassment. Maybe my inner rant wasn't so inner...

"My apologies, that wasn't very professional of me." He says, not looking very sorry. The corner of his mouth twitched as he tried to hide how humorous he finds the situation.