prologue

____ prologue, i.

SATOMI BREATHE OUT a puff of air as the ends of her bangs drew over her eyes, feebly attempting to blow the strands out view without having to remove her hands, fearing the jeopardy that would incase her as her nimble fingers held on to the waxy smooth material. In that moment, she was grateful for tieing the rest of her hair into a braid and pinning it to the base of her head, or risk even more turmoil in her basket weaving process. If it could even be called that given the rate that she was going at. But she considered the fact that her first attempt wasn't much of an achievement and felt a sense of ease.

Eyes blue as the night sky trailed over to the elder woman lingering at her side, steadily taking in her laxed stature as her hands effortlessly moved, as if in a dance, tucking and tieing the weaving material. Fingers quivered ever so slightly but were vacant to older age rather than the result of the work before the woman. As if sensing Satomi's gaze, she spoke. "Don't fret too much. You'll learn eventually."

Satomi returned her attention to her own basket, frowning as one side appeared longer than the other. "Not fast enough." She grumbled, hunching her shoulders inward.

"Hmm, maybe," Kanna remarked, easing her newly made basket off to the side before shifting on her thighs, leaning on her right to regard the young beside her more closely. "But just because baskets don't come easy to you now, doesn't mean they won't ever will. Nor does it mean weaving isn't something you are not good at either. I saw that quilt you were making. It is coming along nicely."

"Sure, if you're under four feet."

Kanna hummed, titling her head over to the younger children that resided in the corner of the tent, rolling around and giggling gleefully. The oldest, being near the age of eight and growing closer to having chores, to the youngest, who laid in a small makeshift cradle bundled in thick furs to keep warm as it slept peacefully. "Well, I am sure one of the mothers in the village wouldn't mind a nice quilt. A storm is suspected of passing soon, and everyone must stay warm."

Satomi nodded solemnly, wincing softly as her red fingertips, sore from the process of weaving, toyed with the fur lining fabrics of her tribal attire. The long, kimono like blue tunic, split just a few inches from the hip to allow leg movement, hugged her body tightly, along with her baggy breeches, protected her from the coldest of the South Pole elements. To provide another layer of coverage, a heavy and thick coat lined and trimed with white fur around the hood, wrist, and hem. Splayed over her chest, intricate designs resembling waves that was a reminder of the connection to her culture.

The Southern Water Tribe, Satomi could remember, was once a vast and glorious village that had thrived alongside its population. Ever growing, ever changing for the better. It was once a peaceful time. That was, until the Fire Nation attacked raided the area, killing many in their wake and capturing every waterbender they could find. A grave mark had been left in reminder, as the war drew closer and the men of the now desolate village in the shambles of what it once was, left to fight in the war. Leaving their families behind. Traditions were either lost, or so ingrained in the grief of lost loved ones that it became painful to even think about. Hope and vibrancy that had once rang throughout the South Pole village seemed forgotten and replaced with just the reassurance of getting by. Now what Satomi knew of as her home was small and secluded, filled with tired woman who longed for their husbands all while caring for their young, huddled in sealskin tents.

Satomi couldn't loose the only few things she had had left of what once was, and had to learn of everything she could while the opportunity remained.

"But for how long? Everything has to go some day." She thought bitterly.

A loud shriek had sounded from the corner. One of the children stood clumsily on his boot covered feet with laces resting loosely at his heels, dangerous enough for a toddler to trip over and cause harm, as read the mess of tears covering their chubby cheeks.

Kanna gently waved the toddler over, lifting it into her arms and resting him on her lap. A soft smile bore on her wrinkled face, gray hair curtaining around cheeks that exuded a motherly warmth, even more so as she cooed to console the small toddler in her embrace while fixing his laces. Satomi watched silently, looking onward on an experience that she had, at one time, been the receiver, and had longed to experience again.

Light, but heavy footfalls drew closer and closer to the tent before the flap near the entrance was pulled open before quickly closing as to not let any cold air in and the warmth accumulated from within out. Eyes shining bright with excitement stared over the two, arms brandishing wildly. Satomi watched as her friend made her way over to them, eyes narrowed as she knew something was about to occure.

"Gran-Gran," Katara spoke, smile wide as she turned to her friend. "can Satomi go with Sokka and I to catch fish?" As the elder woman opened her mouth to speak, her granddaughter continued. "I already did all my chores, as did Satomi. The only thing left is that we need more fish for tonight before the storm."

Satomi glanced over towards Kanna, watching as consideration masked the woman's face.

"I don't see why not. As long your brother agrees and you are back before the storm."

Both girls broke into a accumulation of jubilation, quickly rising to their feet and hurrying out of the tent, vibrant mood not turned down in the slightest by the bitter assault of the cold wind hitting their faces and causing the top of their ears to flush a pinkish color.

"How'd get Sokka to agree?" Satomi grunted out over the fabric of her glove that hung from teeth as she hurried to put one on her right hand before the blood in her palms froze.

Katara bore a tooth grin. "I just said that Gran-Gran had sent us out to go fishing as one of our chores, and wanted Sokka with us to manage the boat. Perfect how, coincidentally, he was already boarding one."

"An absolute coincidence."

___________________________

author's notes:

Here's the prologue! I was debating whether to just jump straight into Satomi finding Aaang with Katara and Sokka, but wanted to give her this solo part to sort of give a dive into her character, if that makes sense. Because there's a lot to impact in those regards. I'm already really excited for this book, especially with certain parts such as the introduction of Shan and Xue, as well as when Kuo comes in during book two, but I gotta be like-

 I'm already really excited for this book, especially with certain parts such as the introduction of Shan and Xue, as well as when Kuo comes in during book two, but I gotta be like-

dedications:

-katebishops, capmxrvel, pistaachios
inejghafasgf, kamaluhkhan, LEIASTARK
_naomiwrites, -sanktalina, pulcherrius, lantscvs, cleovatras

©sukibenders.