⚝Chapter Eleven⚝

Start from the beginning

It reminded her of her relationship with Sokka, especially back at the Northern Water Tribe. She desperately wanted to join Yue in the afterlife, but Sokka brought her back to this world. He clung to her just like the bushes were to the trees. She didn't think he would let go ever again.

Her heart fluttered slightly when she thought that. A small smile appeared on her face as well, which was quite silly. Konno didn't want to feel this way, especially since her sister really liked Sokka. "Why are you smiling like that?" Katara asked, breaking Konno out of her thoughts. 

"Oh, it's nothing." Konno's cheeks reddened, so she ducked her head. 

"It is something," Katara said, giggling. "You know you can tell me anything."

"I know. It's just embarrassing."

Katara smiled. "It's alright if you don't want to tell me. I don't mind."

Konno let out a breath of relief. "Thanks."

Katara handed a small basket to Konno and said, "I'll pick the berries off of these bushes while you hold the basket, okay?"

"Okay," Konno answered, slightly confused. Why would Katara ask her to come if she wasn't really doing anything? 

"How are you doing today?" Katara asked with a glance at her. 

Konno guessed that one of the reasons Katara wanted her to help with getting the food was to talk. A small smile lifted her cheeks up. It had been a while since she actually had a friend. "I'm doing fine," she answered. "Better than that one night."

"That's good," Katara said. A bright smile appeared on her face. "I know it'll take time, but you will think about her without getting sad."

"I hope."

The basket grew heavy in Konno's arms. She hadn't realized that Katara had filled it that much in that little time. She had been too distracted by thoughts of Yue. "I think you got enough," Konno said, looking down at the purple berries. They looked so juicy and sweet, so Konno grabbed one and popped it in her mouth. Katara yelled something, making Konno laugh. "These berries are really good."

"Don't eat them!" Katara said, trying to grab the basket. Konno dodged Katara, grinning. "I didn't know if they were poisonous or not, Konno!"

Konno stopped moving, allowing Katara to grab the basket full of berries. "Why didn't you tell me that before I ate one?"

Katara grinned, moving away from Konno. "I made that up. I know they aren't poisonous. I just didn't want you to eat them."

Konno scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Rude."

"I am not rude!" Katara said, laughing. "I'm funny!"

Konno smiled. "Yeah, you are." She glanced down at the basket and said, "I think we have enough. Do you want to go back to the camp?"

"Sure."

The two of them headed back toward their little camp. It felt good to laugh with Katara. It had been a long time since she truly laughed. She guessed that the last time she laughed was with Yue. But when was it? She couldn't really remember. Their last few days together had been tense because of Yue's engagement to Hahn. Konno acted like a little girl, thinking she could change her father and Yue's decision about her engagement to Hahn. She acted like she had the choice, but she didn't. She should've been so much nicer to Yue then. If she had known what would've happened, she would've been a better sister.

Over her shoulder, Konno saw Sokka practicing with his machete on a tree stump. He had a concentrated look on his handsome face as he stuck the tree stump.