"He's the only one around here who's not been an ass to me, is it any wonder why I wanna protect him from bullies like you and your brother?"

I blink at him and my voice comes out a lot calmer than before. "Maybe you should ask Ryan who the real bully is here. Because it sure as hell isn't us." With that, I turn and walk back to the changing rooms, not bothering with today's work out.

Since I skipped my morning workout, I head to a cafe on the way to school and grab breakfast. I spot Connor's car drive past me a block away from school and quickly order something else before heading back onto my bike, following close behind him to school and parking nearby.

"Hey!" I call out. He ignores me and I huff. "Connor."

"What, Raven?" He asks.

I'm taken aback by his use of my name, a rare occurrence for any of my friends. I reach into my bag and hand him a bag with a jam filled donut, his favourite.

He takes it and looks inside, then glances up at me. "What's this for?"

I shrug innocently, "what, I'm not allowed to bring you breakfast?"

He doesn't reply, but starts to eat the donut as we continue walking towards the building.

"Look," I say, "I'm sorry about the other night, but you gotta understand my reasoning for stopping you. Trust me, I also want to pummel Gray's face in for what he did to Jonah, but that wasn't the time or place." I shake my head and gauge his reaction.

Connor tosses the empty wrapping in a nearby trash can and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. "Yeah, I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. Too many witnesses."

I roll my eyes. "Yes and no."

Connor glances at me. "So...how was yesterday?"

I wait a second before answering. "Tough. Really tough. He was all beat up again."

"Again? Seriously?" He shakes his head. "That's fucked up. Do you know if it's the same guys?"

"No idea, he didn't say." We shove open a set of school doors and make our way past a group of terrified Freshmen.

Connor says something, but I don't register it. My gaze locks onto Gray putting books away in his locker farther down the hall. I quickly look at Connor before he notices, but it's too late.

Connor's eyes are set on Gray, seeming to burn through the kids blocking his way. His hand tightens around the strap of his bag and I see his jaw tick.

"Connor, don't—" I begin.

"TAYLOR!" Connor bellows, causing the kids around us to jump and flee his vicinity.

I see Gray turn his head at the sound of his name before closing his locker casually and dropping his bag, waiting for Connor to approach him.

As soon as Connor takes his first steps, other kids follow him, cutting me off from reaching him and surrounding the two guys.

"Hey! Move!" I snarl, making my way through the other students. A few move willingly, others I have to literally shove out of the way.

By the time I get to the centre of the crowd, I see Connor punch Gray in the side, and Gray retaliate by pushing him back and hitting his face.

"It's AJ!" I hear someone gasp from behind me.

I push past the last couple of students and stand in between Connor and Gray, glaring up at the former.

"What the fuck did I tell you?" I snap at him.

Connor glares at me but stay silent. His eyes move to something behind me and I turn to see AJ emerge effortlessly from the crowd, a dangerous look on his face.

"AJ," I say firmly, knowing he would gladly finish what Connor started, and do a lot more damage.

My brother's voice is low as he says, "one hit is all I need."

"To get knocked on your ass? I'll gladly prove that." Gray smirks. I narrow my eyes, how the fuck can this kid smirk in this situation?

Cautious of the amount of students around us, I glance around. Any second now a teacher could walk by the doors and see this mess in the corridor.

AJ growls, pissed at Gray's cockiness, but before he can do anything I step forward.

His bright blue, anger filled eyes pierce mine. "Move—"

"You're not fighting him in the middle of a crowded school hallway." I say as calmly as I can.

"I don't care. He's pissed me off too many times—now move, Raven." AJ narrows his eyes at me.

I cross my arms. "No. You're not fighting him here, AJ."

"I don't care where it is—" AJ looks past me, to Gray, and steps forward just as the warning bell sounds. None of the other kids make a move to leave.

"Name a time and place." Gray says rather hesitantly.

My entire body tenses. This is the sort of thing AJ goes crazy for. I turn to look at Gray, trying to read whether he's actually serious about this. I've seen what the guy can do to a punching bag, but AJ? He wouldn't stand a chance.

"I'll come find you when I've decided." AJ says from behind me. I can practically feel the smugness radiating off him.

I search Gray's face with a frown, waiting for him to look at me and see how much of a bad idea this is. He doesn't break gaze with AJ as he nods accepting the challenge to fight.