XI

Chapter 11.

Raven

When I wake up on Saturday morning, I make sure to cherish the peace and quiet while it lasts. Living in a house with three boys means life is barely ever quiet or boring, except for when they're asleep or not here. In this case, it's a bit of both. AJ is still asleep, and the boys spent the night with friends.

I quickly change into my sports gear and pack some regular clothes, fingerless gym gloves, earphones, and a towel into my duffle bag, double checking for my shampoo, conditioner, hairbrush and body wash I keep in there.

Where AJ prefers to work out in the evenings after a hard day, I prefer mornings where I can de-stress for the day ahead. I'm also not sure whether it's a female thing about not wanting to run in the dark, or just a me thing because I'm a morning person, but either way, the situation works out well for us.

After opening up a granola bar, taking my water bottle out from the freezer and filling it up with water, I grab my house keys and AJ's car key and head out, driving to the gym. I know AJ prefers to run to the gym since it's barely five minutes away by car, but it gives me more time to actually work out, whereas I'd have to factor in time and energy into running home.

Usually however, I'd use the car to pick up Mason and Will from their friend's houses, where they stay every Friday night, but they're staying over tonight as well, meaning AJ and I have a day to ourselves. As much as I love my little brothers, sometimes I just need a day to be myself, not a substitute mom.

When I get to the gym, I shove my things into a locker and start my music, noticing that as usual for nine am on a Saturday, there aren't many people about in the gym. Most of the people working out are men, but there are also a few women, and even a spinning class.

I start with some stretches to get my muscles moving, then do a twenty minute warm-up on the treadmill, slowing amping up my jog to a run, then back down again. After that, I move over to the punching bags where my fun begins, and pull on my gloves to support my knuckles. I spend another twenty minutes repeatedly hitting the bag before I collapse to the ground and grab my water, taking large gulps. When I'm hydrated, I get up and move over to the abdominal crunching machine and then the free weights.

By the time I've finished warming down with some more stretches, it's been a little over an hour since I arrived and I can feel my entire body glistening with sweat and aching for the steaming hot shower that calls my name. I grab my bottle and head in the direction of the showers, however, when I walk past the punching bags, I almost do a spit-take at what—or rather who—I see.

The new kid, who's name I recently learned to be Gray Taylor, is standing at one of the heavy weight bags. I can see that he's using wrap-bag gloves, which are more heavy duty than the gel ones I have.

I watch him for a moment, genuinely captivated by what I see. His movements are quick and fluid, and the chain that holds the bag up rattles with every hit it takes from him. His back muscles and toned torso visible to me due to him not wearing a shirt, make me realise that he is hot, and I know Rissa and Alex will be dying to hear about this sudden revelation.

Gray stops hitting the bag to take a drink of water, but when he looks up at the mirror behind the bag, his grey eyes lock onto mine and I push away the sudden amusing thought that the colour of his eyes matches his name. I turn away from him and go towards the showers, though what I really want to do is march right up to him and that bag and prove that I too can throw a punch like him, though I'd definitely need his gloves to do it without injuring myself.

What irks me the most about him, is that he had successfully avoided AJ and I all week, then yesterday he decided to confront me about Ryan completely out of the blue, which makes me wonder what Ryan's told Gray about us. I haven't told AJ about what happened after class yesterday, knowing that he would definitely use it as an excuse to fight with Gray. From what I've just seen, however, he might just be able to protect himself against AJ, maybe even get a few hits in—and that's saying something.

I let the hot water of my shower wash away my sweat and the thoughts of Gray Taylor, mentally sorting through my wardrobe and plan an outfit for Jonah's party tonight. Even though I voted against it originally, with how stressful this week has been we could all use a little pick me up. Although, having a party at Jonah's house just means that we're all going to be on edge due to his low alcohol tolerance, and the fact that he has a nice expensive house that just screams at drunk teenagers to wreck.

When I walk out of the gym in fresh clothes and with wet hair, I thankfully don't see Gray again, so I get into the car and drive myself home.

Walking through the front door, the sounds and smell of cooking sausages and bacon float towards me, drawing me to the kitchen.

"Any for me?" I ask AJ eagerly. I may have eaten a granola bar before I left for the gym, but it barely touched the sides now that I've done my work out.

"Nope." AJ smirks.

"Seriously?" I narrow my eyes at him, looking into the pan to see that although there is technically enough food for two people, his stomach seems to be the same size as his head.

With a huff, I open up the fridge and peer inside, straightening up after two seconds and glaring at AJ.

"You finished all the bacon?" I snap.

He shrugs, a taunting smile playing on his lips. "I'm hungry."

"Jackass." I grumble, grabbing myself a bowl and pouring out Fruit Loops. I silently pray—for AJ's own safety—that there's still some milk left, which there is.

I add bacon and milk to our shopping list magnetically pinned to the fridge, reminding myself that I'll do the shop tomorrow. Or should I just do it today? I turn away from the fridge, I'll do it tomorrow, that way I can rope at least one of the boys into coming with me to help.

AJ and I spend the remainder of the morning watching crappy day-time tv, and when he declares that he's going for a run then hitting the gym, I decide to finish off my homework.

"I'm back!" AJ hollers through the house a couple of hours later.

"Don't care!" I flip the page of my magazine—I have a 5.0 GPA and an excellent memory, homework doesn't take me long. I hear a scoff and look up, seeing a sweaty AJ leaning against my doorframe.

"Looks like you've had a productive day."

"You stink." I scrunch up my nose and ignore his comment. "Go shower."

He moves away from my room and walks upstairs, as my room is on the ground floor, his footsteps audible due to the quietness of the house.

"I'm heading to Jonah's soon to help set up for tonight." AJ calls down. "You coming with?"

"Will we have time to come back and get ready?" I ask, collapsing back onto my bed dramatically.

"Probably not. I'll just take a bag with me."

"Then no." I call back with a little sigh. "The last time I tried to get ready at Jonah's I ended up losing half my stuff."

"Well that's your own fault for having so much shit."

"Asshole." I grumble to myself.

"Heard that!"

"Good!" I throw a pillow at my door, slamming it closed.