57. Glad You Came

Start from the beginning

It didn't help the fact that Kai spoke so flippantly about the woman that Ace was madly, desperately in love with.

Ace had never been involved in a physical altercation, not counting the times that his father had beat him.

In that office, looking at Kai's smug smile, something inside Ace snapped and his animalistic rage was too much for even him to handle.

Before he knew it, he had reared back and thrown a fierce hand in the direction of Kai's face.

There was satisfying cracking noise as Ace's fist collided against Kai's face.

The second man fell back against the table, clutching his face.

Ace panted heavily, staring down at Kai, while the other three men looked at him.

Kai's goon stepped forward to hold Ace back, but he pushed the man off.

Kai groaned in pain.

"You bastard," he said, moving his hand away to inspect it. There was a cut on his lip and his nose was beginning to ooze blood.

It didn't deter Ace, despite his aversion to blood. He stepped forward, squaring up to Kai.

"You think that taking advantage of an innocent girl who comes to work for you is powerful?" Ace demanded, his voice shaking with anger.

"What gives, man?" Kai asked, wiping the blood off of his lip, completely oblivious to what Ace had said.

"You're the lowest of the low," Ace spat at him, "To think that you're some type of God for taking advantage of a girl. How pathetic are you that you need to take a girl's virginity to feel powerful?"

Kai stood up straight. He wasn't as tall or as broad as Ace, but he stood like was. "You're pathetic," he yelled back Ace, "You're here because of some crush you have on a woman who betrayed you. You're the biggest businessman in the city and you're here defending some woman? She doesn't care about you. She wouldn't be here with me if she did."

Before he could say anything else to anger Ace, the door opened and Scarlett walked in. The expression of defiance on her face faltered when she saw Ace. It turned into confusion when she looked at Kai's bloodied face.

Her heart raced.

She wanted to cry.

She wanted to rush into Ace's arms so that this nightmare would end.

Instead, she stood at the doorway, frozen on the spot.

Ace looked back at her.

Her face was gaunt and devoid of colour. Her bright eyes were dull. The dress she wore might have been flattering on her, but she didn't wear it with the same confidence that she wore most things.

He looked at the woman he loved and realized that she looked like she had been through hell.

His heart broke as he looked at her and she looked back at him.

"There," Kai pointed, accusingly. He took a few steps towards her. "You think she would be here working for us if she cared about you?"

He put his fingers around her arm, but Scarlett, suddenly empowered, fought back. She pushed him away with an angry growl.

"Don't touch me," she commanded, "I don't want anything to do with you. With any of you."

Ace wanted to smile, but he couldn't. He was focused.

"You're both pathetic," Kai snarled at her, "You're here because you want to keep him safe? Him? The billionaire who doesn't care about you?"