45. Slowly

"I knew you
 before I met you.

I've known you 
my whole life."

~ Nafsi

Scarlett's supply of red dresses seemed to be never ending

As she descended the staircase, Ace stared at her in wonder, at the beauty and the grace he beheld. She looked as if she were floating on air, despite the fact that she was wearing a pair of sparkly stilettos, which Ace had no idea how she balanced in all day.

Her hair was styled in the emulation of a silver-screen starlet about to make a red-carpet appearance.

Her lips, as usual, were so deeply red, in a shade that blended with her dress, as if she was the embodiment of cherry lips.

She managed to take his breath away each time he looked at her.

Ace marveled at her as she stepped off the staircase and walked towards him, smiling like she had won.

"Pick your jaw up off the floor and finish that oil painting of mine," she teased, coming to a halt right in front of him.

Ace's eyes sparkled as he continued to stare at her.

"Scarlett," he sighed, his eyes roaming all over her from her head to her feet, completely unashamed of how much he was staring.

Scarlett reached out her arm to thwack him, but he caught it and held it to his chest.

"Stop," she mused, trying to free her hand.

Ace held on tighter unwilling to let go.

"Ace," Scarlett said.

He smiled. "You look beautiful, Sky."

"You don't look too bad yourself, Mr. Hardwood," she told him, smoothing down the front of his jacket.

Ace raised an eyebrow.

"In fact," Scarlett went on, "I showed a picture of yours to Gracie and she said that you are very handsome."

"Did she now?" Ace asked, putting his arms around her waist and pulling her closer, never able to get enough of just touching her.

Scarlett nodded.

"What exactly did she say?"

Scarlett thought. "She said something along the lines of the big man upstairs really knowing what he was doing when he made you."

"Oh?"

"She said 'Handsome? This man is beautiful'," Scarlett went on.

"Beautiful, huh?" Ace asked, smiling fully.

Scarlett nodded with a giggle.

"Looks like I'll give you a run for your money, Sky," he told her.