56. A Good Samaritan

"She was dangerous,
independent,
and strong.

The sound of her heels
against the marble floor 
shook the devil up."

~ R. H. Sin

Gretchen kept her eyes trained on Ace as she handed him the file that he had asked her for

Ace knew she was watching, so he evaded her gaze. Gretchen usually didn't question him or his work; he appreciated that about her, but lately – within the span of the last three weeks – she had been increasingly gazing at him, like she wanted to ask him a question, but she couldn't.

Finally, Gretchen decided to speak up. "Mr. Hardwood."

Ace, who was scowling at his computer screen, stopped moving. "Don't, Gretchen," he warned, "I know what you're going to ask, or at least whom you're going to ask about and I don't want to hear it."

Gretchen raised her dark eyebrows. Her spectacles were perched on the edge of her nose and her curly hair had been pulled into a tight bun at the top of her head. She looked down at him over her glasses, like a principal chastising her young student.

"Child, I see you staring down that hallway every time you walk in and out of your office," she told him, "We all miss her. If you want her back, go get her."

Ace was about to open his mouth to retaliate, despite the fact that he didn't have an answer to give her when Gretchen's intercom beeped for the third time since she had been in his office.

"What's going on?" he asked, pointing in the direction of her desk.

She waved her hand, dismissively. "Some boy is downstairs at the reception trying to come up to meet you. Apparently, he is refusing to leave until he sees you."

"And you didn't tell me?"

Gretchen gave him a look. "Do you know how many people come into this building trying to see you? Some of them want jobs, some of them want money, some of them are crazy and some of them just want to marry you. You think I don't know that you don't want to see any of them?"

Ace smiled for the first time in what seemed like forever. He nodded, approvingly.

"Who is this person?" he asked her.

"Some man named Oliver Jones," she answered, "Says that there are many things he'd like to tell you."

Ace leaned back in his seat, pensively.

He knew exactly who Oliver Jones was, but he wasn't easily startled. Emerson's words, Grace's words, Scarlett's face, and even Cassie's words floated around in his head.

"I'll meet him," he said, surprising Gretchen.

"What?"

Ace nodded. "I'll meet the man. Send him up."