Chapter 2: Bloom

My legs carried me towards the school gates of UA, but it seemed to be blocked by a strange swarm of blabbering adults. It became clear to me that these adults, were actually pests that called themselves "reporters." A sense of dread washes over me as a member of the swarm notices me, they each lock their eyes on me as they make their way towards me.

I really hated the media.

"Excuse me Miss, are you in All Might's class?" One of the lady reporters shoved a microphone into my face as she questioned me. I felt my blood begin to boil in anger.

"Fuck off snowflake." I spat before forcefully pushing them out of my way, which with my quirk made it effortless. I swiftly move past them and enter the school grounds. My bag quietly clung to my back as I made my way too class. I opened the massive door to 1-A before realising that it was completely empty.

Did I miss class? Oh well.  It is in my Aizawa blood to be late I guess. I sigh before making my way back down the corridor and towards the cafeteria. It was clear when I arrived that the cafeteria was full of life, as faceless bodies stood in a random disarray around the floor. Some huddled in small groups while others stood alone. I was one of the loners. Obviously.

I made my way to the counter and placed an order for some chicken ramen, nothing fancy. It didn't take long to arrive so I took the food tray and made my way to an empty table. I had no friends to sit with yet, that was something I needed to work on. I ate my soup happily as I fiddled with my phone. I decided to freeze a small patch on the table in the shape of an irregular circle. I placed my phone in the center of the circle and made the phone spin. I watched it spin in boredom as I continued to eat away at the ramen soup.

Todoroki POV:

With a food tray of Soba Noodles in my hands I made my way to go and sit alone, far away from anyone. I wasn't planning on making friends. But then I saw her.

I turned my head to see Amara sitting alone at a table, and I felt my heart began beating faster for a reason I couldn't understand. I eyed her silky, black hair that had been messily thrown into a bun that sat atop her head. I strode over to her I began noticing more of her, her alluring pale skin contrasted nicely against her dark raven hair. I noticed the collection of ear piercings she had through both of her ears, something I had never really noticed before about her as the other times I've seen her, her hair was out.

I had been avoiding her since hero training and seeing her all alone still put an ache in my heart. Her dark eyes met mine, I felt I could get lost in the darkness they presented to me. I felt drawn to her, maybe I could let myself have one friend. When I got closer I saw a frozen patch of ice on the surface of the table and a spinning phone. I felt an eyebrow arch at the casual use of her quirk before she noticed me. 

I saw her swallow the big mouthful of food she had twisted around her dark chopsticks before she spoke. "What do you wa-"

Amara POV

"What do you wa-" I get cut off by choking on some of the chicken that stubbornly refused to be swallowed. I entered an uncontrollable coughing fit where even my eyes began to water. I feel the food fly back up my throat and I immediately swallow it back down. Disgusted with myself. I look back at Todoroki whose eyes were widened and his eyebrows furrowed as if he witnessed a demonic possession.

"Are you done?" I heard him ask me. I wiped away the tears that obscured my vision.

"Am I done dying? yes." I chided. Hearing him chuckle sent butterflies in my stomach. I ignore it as I meet his bi-colored eyes. "What brings you to my table?"

"You looked lonely so I thought I'd come sit with you." He informs me as he takes the seat on the other side of the table. He laid down the tray of food he held in his pale hands. I felt my face flower into an uncontrollable smile that I couldn't hide. I was honestly surprised he was so friendly today, considering the past couple days after our hero training he seemed vacant.

"Honestly, I thought you were mad at me." I stated and after seeing his reaction I immediately regretted it.

"I wasn't mad at you I was just-" His eyebrows knitted together softly. "I want to, no. I need to surpass my father. That defeat the other day made me realize how I need more training. I must get stronger." His voice was laced with an emotion I couldn't quite understand. But the way his eyes looked at me I knew he was telling the truth. "And you used my own power against me, how pathetic can I be?" 

"Hmm, there's more to life than getting stronger y'know." A sigh escaped my lips as I shoved another spoonful of food into my mouth.

"You can only say that because you are already strong." He said slightly annoyed. I felt a slight ache in my chest at his icy tone.

"I'm sorry – I didn't mean to be rude." My dark eyes softened as I stared into my friend's eyes. They seemed to mirror mine as he softened as well.

"No, I'm sorry. You're right." His lips formed a smile, he looks so cute when he smiles.

Wait, what am I saying? I barely know the guy and I'm calling him cute!?

An alarmed blared loudly through the building, pain pierced straight in my head as I placed my hands over my ears and grunted in pain. I barely heard Todoroki in front of me until the voice of the alarm cut in. It said something about a level 3 security breach. My ears began to ring slightly, but at least I could hear the crescendo of panic and fear that swept around the cafeteria.

"What's a level 3 security breach?" I ask him.

"It means someone managed to break through the school defences." He tells me in a monotone, but I could tell by the small glimmer of panic that laced his bi-colored irises, he was worried. "UA is meant to have amazing security detailing-" he gets cut off when a sea of bodies picks him up and takes him away, I go to stand up to help him but then I am also taken by the wave of scared teenagers. I feel squished against bodies of people I didn't know, everyone felt faceless to me, except for Todoroki. I got pushed sideways, causing me to clumsily fall onto another sturdy body. I hear a grunt as I realise who I landed on.

"Hello again." I jested with a toothy smile. Our faces were barely inches apart as I notice that he is being sandwiched between the window behind him and me. I felt my face burn with embarrassment as more and more bodies pushed me into him, my entire body felt tangled with his – and there was nothing I could do. I peer up at him to notice that he was also blushing, and wouldn't make eye contact with me.Fear stricken voices echoed in the small corridor that we had all been trapped in. 

"So... you come here often?" I snicker at my own attempt of a joke.

"You're not funny." Todoroki informs me. But from the clear view I have of his handsome face, I observe a small smile on his lips.

"No?" 

"No."

"EVERYBODY REMAIN CALM. THERE IS NO EMERGENCY IT IS SIMPLY THE PAPARRAZI OUTSIDE." A guy with glasses commanded. He reminded me of a human pancake as he was slumped against the height of the ceiling in order to get everyone's attention. I think his name was Iida. The sea of bodies that once swayed like an uncontrollable storm had calmed down. People stopped pushing me towards Todoroki and I placed my hands on the window behind him in order to push myself up.

Todoroki seemed uncomfortable as his face was painted a bright red. It was almost the same color as his scar and red hair.

Wait, was that was a scar on his face? I think I'm a certifiable idiot. 

I went to ask him if he was alright, but he hurriedly left. I was all alone now amongst a sea of faceless humans I didn't know.