Chapter 13 Part 2: Pet Names

Bai Zhen Zhen was sitting on a wooden chair at the side, and said nothing as she indifferently watched her dad and Huo Xiang sitting on the sofa, talking and laughing while eating.

"Xiao Huo ah, your Aunt Yang's cooking is not bad at all, right?" Father Bai looked at Huo Xiang with a benevolent face.

"En, it's delicious!" Huo Xiang said, taking another sip of soup.

Bai Zhen Zhen gritted her teeth: shameless!!

"Xiao Huo, look at how you're dressed, have you already been discharged?"

Huo Xiang nodded: "Yes, I had another examination yesterday afternoon and there was no problem, so I was able to leave the hospital."

"Where do you live ah? Are you still looking for a job?"

"I rented an apartment. Actually, I came to find Zhen Zhen today because I heard that her company is recruiting people, so I want her to introduce me..."

Bai Zhen Zhen joined the conversation and said: "That's right, I will take him to my company later, my company is just looking for someone with his professional profile."

Father Bai bought their lie: "To have a friend help introduce you to a job, it really is convenient..."

Then he said to Huo Xiang: "Uncle wishes you success!"

Father Bai raised his cup and toasted Huo Xiang.

Bai Zhen Zhen raised her eyebrows. As they spoke, these two men looked at each other, and the scene was very warm. Sometimes she even felt that Huo Xiang was more like her father's child than she was.

** * **

After finishing breakfast, Huo Xiang handed Bai Zhen Zhen the new clothes he had rented.

Bai Zhen Zhen took a look, it was a red silk dress. She glanced at Huo Xiang's dark green shirt again and asked, "red with green?"

Huo Xiang explained earnestly: "You are a safflower, I am a green leaf. Aren't these two a really good match?"

Bai Zhen Zhen raised her eyebrows: "I don't have any special preference about color, I just didn't expect you to like green."

"Xiao Huo wearing green looks really good!" Father Bai chuckled and said, "don't you young people often say – if you want to live a good life, you need to wear something green on yourself. Green symbolizes vitality and vigor!"

Huo Xiang: "......"

Bai Zhen Zhen laughed so much her stomach hurt: "Dad, that sentence doesn't talk about vitality, it's used to curse at people..."

"Ah?" Father Bai was bewildered.

Bai Zhen Zhen handed the clothes bag back to Huo Xiang: "Take back the clothes, I will just drop by as a formality, there's no need to change clothes."

The original host's clothes were very simple, but she wanted to be lowkey, so the simpler she wore, the better.

"In any case it's a big event, you are not really intending to wear this to go, right?!" Huo Xiang didn't take it back, and glanced at Bai Zhen Zhen with some disapproval.

Bai Zhen Zhen was wearing an oversized T-shirt that reached until her knees, with a big cartoon design on the chest. A bit... like pajamas.

Father Bai said from the side: "Xiao Huo ah, Zhen Zhen is right, today you are the protagonist, it's you who needs to dress up."

"No ah, I already spent the money, it can't go to waste!" Huo Xiang frowned.

Leaning close to Bai Zhen Zhen, he whispered: "Zhen Zhen, think about it, we're going to a five-star hotel. If our clothes are too shabby and we're stopped by the security guards, we won't have any face left ah..."

Bai Zhen Zhen pondered for a moment and thought that what Huo Xiang had said also made sense.

So she briskly went to her room with the bag.

Ten minutes later, Bai Zhen Zhen finished changing her clothes and went back to the living room. As soon as she crossed the door of the room, Father Bai and Yang Suping stared at her with wide eyes stunned, as if they had seen something extraordinary.

Footnotes:

1: 绿叶: lit. means 'green leaf', but figuratively it also means 'actor playing a supporting role' just as Huo Xiang is supposed to be, so nice hidden wordplay Huo Xiang made in here.

2: 要想生活过得去,身上总得带点绿. LMAO. Father Bai actually got this saying wrong, the one that is used actually is 要想生活过得去,头上就得顶点绿 'if you want to live a good life, you need to hang something green on your head'. The Chinese idiom 'to wear a green hat' means for a man to be cuckolded by their partner, so this expression is usually directed to men who like to 'play' (aka have affairs), because if they want to play, they should then be prepared for their wives to do the same and cheat on them (aka making them wear a green hat).