Chapter 8

The sweat on Gilbert Blythe's forehead glistened as he shoveled hay out of the Cuthbert's barn. Although the work exhausted Gilbert, someone else was on his mind. Cole. He knew that when he left Avonlea for awhile on his voyage that Anne had gotten close to Cole. But what he didn't know was how close were the two? Gilbert scoffed at himself and looked down at the mountain of hay that was now piling up. If Anne was happy, he had thought, that's all that matters. But, then why was he so bothered over a certain blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy?

"You're really in over your head now, Blythe," he muttered to himself. 

*                                                                                                     *                                                                                           *

Sun danced in Anne Shirley-Cuthbert's room as it shimmered onto the auburn-haired girl's already glowing eyes. She couldn't believe one of her kindred spirits, whom she missed so much, was actually sitting next to her at the moment.

"Oh, Cole, I have missed you terribly!" She exclaimed as she threw one arm around the blue-eyed boy's neck. 

"Yes, well, I see you've made yourself busy," Cole winked as Anne rolled her eyes back at him.

"I thought I had made it clear when I said I am not a Gilbert Blythe fan. His horrible insult is still wretched in my awful, awful red head."

Cole gave her a side glare as he nodded his head, "Heard that one before."

"Oh, Cole! Despite Gilbert finding work at Green Gables, it has just been simply marvelous here. Too bad you cannot come visit more often, oh, it'd be much better with you here!" Anne sighed.

Cole smiled and laughed, "Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, we really are kindred spirits."

*                                                                                                 *                                                                                               *

When school had returned, Anne trudged up the steps of the schoolhouse with Diana close behind. Anne had dreaded going back to school for one reason and one reason only - Gilbert Blythe. Now that he had been working on the Cuthbert farm, Anne was seeing more of Gilbert than she had liked to. Even worse, she has to see him at school. Why must the world be so cruel to her? Anne had spotted the curly haired boy glued to his medical book, running his slender fingers through the dark curls as he flipped the page. Unknowingly, the blush crept back to Anne's cheeks. She tore her eyes from the boy and hung her coat and hat up on the rack, following Diana as they met with the other girls. 

Ruby was muttering happily to Tillie as Josie laughed with Jane. When the blonde haired girl spotted Anne and Diana, her eyes popped as she ran over to them.

"Oh, Anne! Diana! I am so glad you both are here! Josie had just told us that she is having a gathering near the lake tonight and the whole class is invited!" Ruby grinned widely.

"That sounds wonderful Ruby!" Diana smiled.

"If you're up for it," Josie smirked at Anne.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" Anne shot back, as Josie tilted her head and turned back to the girls.

"I already asked Moody if he could play his fiddle and I already took care of the drinks. Stole a bottle of my mom's rum," Josie smirked.

Ruby turned to the girls and smiled dreamily, "Oh what a sight it'd be to see Gilbert Blythe dancing."

Everyone started to shuffle to their seats in the classroom as Mrs. Stacy had instructed. Anne sat in her seat and turned to Ruby and Diana, whispering a bit too loudly, "If I saw Gilbert Blythe dance, I'd be quick enough to compare him to a frightened chicken."

Diana smirked at her as someone crouched next to the girls. Anne swiftly turned to be met with none other than Gilbert Blythe.

 "I'd always enjoy to know you'd watch me dance. Heard there's a gathering later. Perhaps I'll be there," he smirked, looking Anne up and down as he walked back to his seat. 

And that's when Anne Shirley-Cuthbert's rosy colored cheeks still stained with light blush, flared into a crimson red. 

ahhhh i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! i'm so sorry i haven't updated in awhile but i'll get back on track. i have a lot of ideas ;)))) -kylie