Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"Give me a spear."

Catching on to her thoughts, Minho gave one to her, and one to Newt and Frypan. Yelling "Now!", Florence led the four of them to launch the spears at the Griever, piercing its gooey body in order to catch it off guard and give the others time to escape.

"Come on!" Florence yelled. Grabbing Teresa's arm, she went to pull her towards the Homestead, causing everyone to spring back into action.

Minho went to Alby's other side, helping Clint to haul him into the Homestead. He was still weak after waking from the Changing, so it was essential they got him somewhere safe from the Grievers.

Stopping by the door, Florence ushered everyone inside, watching the Griever roaring and scuttling after them, before slamming the door shut with everyone inside. She scanned the room; Chuck and Winston among the few that were waiting for them.

"Where's Zart?" She questioned, and Thomas answered her eyes with a simple shake of his head. He didn't need to speak for her to know what he meant.

"Shuck.." She mumbled under her breath.

Florence's chest heaved with breaths as she crept into the middle of the room, her hand automatically reaching for Minho's. She found it, and his fingers interlocked with hers, squeezing gently.

She could hear the clicking of a Griever approaching and her chest tightened. She squeezed her eyes shut before remembering it was not a situation she could just ignore if she couldn't see it. After all, if a Griever grabbed her she would need her eyes to see how to get away from it.

She was suddenly glad she opened her eyes.

The Griever was beginning to climb up onto the roof. They had nowhere to escape to. Grouping close together, their eyes all went to the ceiling awaiting the moment the Griever broke through to attack them.

The ceiling began to crack, dust and small pieces of wood falling to the floor peacefully. A moment of silence passed before an arm of the Griever crashed through the ceiling, thrashing around. It reached the pole in the middle of the room keeping the entire structure up and yanked it off, leaving the roof to collapse in on itself.

Florence could barely hear the anguished cries and shouts of her friends as they dodged the rubble. She got pulled to the edge of the room, only just noticing her hand was still locked with Minho's and that was the reason she didn't get crushed by the wood.

The Griever outside ripped some wood from the bottom of the Homestead, and then its arm was inside, trying to grab for anyone. Minho yanked Florence away from its reach and against the wall beside everybody else. Or nearly everybody else.

Clint's screams echoed in her mind as he was ripped from the rest of them, dragged by his feet under the wood and out to his inevitable death. Florence's eyes locked with Jeff's, unable to let a word pass her lips.

Their friend was gone.

She tried to stop the tears brimming at her eyes, but Jeff's heartbroken expression was the tip of the iceberg. She tried to focus on keeping herself alive, but could only focus on the fact Clint wasn't able to keep himself alive. She tried to wipe her mind of his terrified cries for help as the Griever took him away, but she couldn't and she didn't think she ever would.

But Florence didn't have enough time to grieve her friend.

The arm came crashing through the wall they were lined up against. They all leapt away but Chuck wasn't so quick. The arm latched onto his back and began to retract out of the Homestead, before Thomas grabbed onto Chuck's hand.

"Grab him!"

It didn't take a moment for Florence to jump up and take Chuck's other hand in her grasp. She felt the presence of a few other Gladers beside her, all using their full body weight to avoid the Griever snatching yet another friend from them.