PART THREE: "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST."

"WHAT'S WITH THE CHAOS?"

In no time, the class went back in its normal and formal seating arrangement as I walked inside the classroom.

I am their Political Science professor. This would be our first meeting.

"Ilang minuto lang akong na-late at mukha na agad kayong delubyo?" I sarcastically remarked.

I cleared my throat.

"A year in kindergarten, six years in elementary, another six years in high school," I started. "Four to five years in college, some even takes additional four years for masteral and doctorate, and a year for board preparation."

They seemed confused.

"It normally takes us seventeen years to finish studying and twenty-three years for some. After that, you have to find a job in a competitive job market that is inclined with your field. You have to qualify in certain qualifications to get admitted, and skills and knowledge to have a permanent job."

I looked at each and everyone's eyes.

"You have to follow certain norms set by social structures. You gonna wake up exhaustedly in the morning and sleep exhaustedly still in the evening, and same cycle every day. When the time comes, you have to retire and that's the only time where you can enjoy your life—when your old fragile body is closer to death."

All eyes and ears were on me, as if everyone was enchanted with my voice.

"Ang tanong, is this the life you wanna live? The life you wanna be part of? A life to take? Is it a life worth living for?" I asked the class.

No one was talking.

"What I am saying is, kids, do not be too focused on education to the point that you've already forgotten the essence of life. I am not saying that you should abandon your education, rather, just use education as a tool and not as a system to revolve your world around. There's so much more than a bookish world."

Everyone's eyes were starting to brighten up.

"In other words," I started, and the smile on my face faded. "I promote drop outs."

Everyone was caught off guard. The smile on their face literally faded.

"You," I pointed at someone. "Why do you study?"

"T-To have a stable job," the man answered nervously.

"How about you?" I pointed another student. "Why do you study?"

"Because I want to be a lawyer," she said bravely.

"How about you, why do you study?"

The man stood up. "I wanna be the next chief justice!"

Everyone laughed.

"Hearing your words made me sad," I said. "Have you noticed? You are all after your own dream. Kumikilos kayo para sa sarili, hindi ninyo iniisip ang bayan, which is a contradictory of your field."

No one was even moving a nerve.

"Kids, we study political science to make our society better, not just for ourselves," I said and sat on the edge of the front seat's table.

"One character in El Filibusterismo said education is not for all, it should only be for people who have the will to fight for it, for someone deserving of it," I said and stood up and went to the door. "So if you think you're not deserving of the education you have..." I then opened the door and smiled. "LEAVE."

Everyone suddenly got scared, no one was looking at me.

"Leave..." I repeated.

But no one's moving.

"NO ONE'S GONNA LEAVE?" I asked.

I can feel the tension in the atmosphere.

"Alright," I said and closed the door. "You guys have chosen death, then."

For the first time, I smiled to them.

"I am Prosecutor Avery Heimsworth," I introduced.

But the smile on my face faded.

"AND WELCOME TO HELL."

The next few hours, I received a text message saying I have to arrest someone.

Sa katunayan, naririto na nga ako sa labas ng office n'ya to personally arrest him.

I gulped and closed my eyes.

"Sir," I can hear him say inside. "Kailangan ko na po talaga umalis!"

His tone seemed like a child being stopped by a parent to go outside and play.

"Doctor Traise Stevens, I already told you! Walang papalit sa shift mo!"

Beat.

I smiled.

"Pero in-inform ko po kayo weeks ago that I have to leave this day and pumayag kayo. I need to watch my wife's final trial on how will she convict that former vice president who killed my mom. Even the former defender, Newt, is there. I gotta see him and at least give him a one solid punch!"

"Courtney is not your wife yet, you are just engaged," the doctor corrected him.

OKAY PLEASE SOMEONE CALL THE 911 SOMEONE JUST GOT BURNT HERE.

"Engaged or not, she will be my wife sir, there's no difference," he said. "So please?"

"Hinde," the doctor firmly said.

"Doooooc!" Traise still continued to persuade him. "I'll cover up your whole week shift next week, I promise!"

"Whole week? How about two weeks?"

"Why two weeks? Baka ipadala na ni Courtney mga gamit ko rito dahil napakadalang ko umuwi!"

"That's the option Doctor Stevens if you don't want to then—"

"I WILL!" he said. "Okay I will!" he repeated eagerly.

"You will?"

"For Courtney, I will!" he said.

"Alright, that's a deal," the doctor said.

"YES!!!!" Traise exclaimed.

"Take this book and let that be signed by Tyler Scott. I like his law book."

"Why do you like my brother that much?" he said, looking at it. "And yet you hate me? I mean, I'm more good looking than him!"

"You wish," the doctor said. "And let this be signed by Avery Heimsworth. I love her bill about death penalty."

I smiled by just eavesdropping.

"You like that daughter of a thief?!" Traise exclaimed.

Lah? How dare him?!

"And you're a son of a fuckboy," the doctor said, mocking.

I smirked.

That's it, that's the line!

"How did you know that code name?!?" he exclaimed.

"Nakasulat sa first page of her book. She dedicated it to the sons of a fuck boy and daughter of an evidence tamperer. You guys are funny."

"She's my prof," I heard a teenage voice.

"Your prof is Avery and your doctor is him. Good luck kid," Traise said. "I gotta go, my brother might take my wife away from me if I'm late. Bye, Doc! Bye, kid. See you soon if this fat ass doctor ruined your health."

I heard foot steps.

"Oh, by the way. In case he does ruin your health, request Doctor Traise Stevens to take over, that's my name. I fix health and broken hearts," he said and winkedband he disappears in their sight.

Nang buksan n'ya ang pinto, halos mapatalon s'ya sa gulat nang makita ako.

"Avery," he said. "B-Bakit ka nandito?"

Nang makita ang posas sa kamay ko ay napa-urong siya.

I smiled.

"Long time no see," I said and looked at his eyes.

"YOU'RE UNDER ARREST."