Chapter 4

This may be late but, pic of Dylan on the side...

Chapter 4

Nathan

       I had never run so fast before in my life. The fact that whether a person were to survive or not depended on me had my feet flying down the hall. I didn’t even know what I was thinking. Why hadn’t I gotten help when I first saw a group of guys ganging up on a tied up, blindfolded boy. This fact made guilt weigh heavily on my chest. If anything happened to him then it would be my fault just as much as it was the guy that pushed him.

       I ran straight through the locker rooms and rammed into the doors that led to the pool. The bullies were gone now but I couldn’t even spare them any more of a thought. What I was really worried about was the figure in the water. Could he swim back up? Could he swim at all? Air bubbled to the surface and my heart became lead, sinking far past my feet. I didn’t even bother waiting any more than I already have. I stripped away my shoes and jacket and dove into the water with a form my old swim coach would have been proud of.  

The cold of the water shocked the hell out of me and my body absolutely refused to move at first. But then the thought of the boy that got me here in the first place being in danger, made me push my body further and kick my feet furiously.

       Holding my eyes open under the water, i could make out the green color of his hoodie and quickly swam towards it. I grabbed him under his arms and swam for the surface.

       It wasn’t easy in the slightest to get him on the cement. I had to push him up on my shoulders and roll him away before I got out myself. Now that we were both out; him on his back unconscious and me kneeling above him, I hesitated. He was a guy after all and I’ve never heard of a guy giving another guy mouth to mouth even in the movies. But then again, he would die if I don’t do anything. Aw hell. I untied the rope that bound his wrists and recalled the CPR lessons that Leeham gave me years ago.

            I put my ear by his mouth to check his breathing. None.  My heart was thumping in my ear, I was scared shitless. I interlocked my fingers and pumped on his chest with the heel of my palms, muttering the song under my breath.

        Ah, ah, ah, ah staying alive, staying alive... I pumped in beat with the song ten times before checking his breathing. Again, there was still nothing. It was a split decision to lift his chin, plug his nose, and blow into his mouth. I blew for about five seconds straight and went to check his breathing again. He still was not responding. Usually in all the movies the victim would be sputtering right about now. Tears began to prick my eyes at the thought of me coming for him too late. If he died... No!

       I couldn’t let myself think this way. I can’t give up on him.

       I repeated the process about six times. The more I did it, the more desperate I became. I pumped harder on his chest and blew longer in his mouth. By the eighth time I could feel the tears running down my cheeks as I realized that there was no way that I could save him. As I pumped and gave him the kiss of life I thought about how I could explain this to his family, his friends, and his teachers.  I watched them do this to him but I didn’t do anything until after he was already dead. I suddenly got angry at myself. Why hadn’t I helped once I saw what was happening? Why did those guys do this to him in the first place? Why did he let them do it?

       In my spurt of anger, I found myself beating on his chest with my fist rather that pumping with a simple push of my hands. He had to live. You are going to live, damn it!

       There was nothing better than the sound of the boy beneath me,- the boy that I have been trying to save for the past ten minutes- sputtering water. Quickly I turned him to his side and let him cough up all the water that has been in his lungs.