Chapter One

"You drew memories in my mind I could never erase, you painted colors in my heart I could never replace."

Paul Lenstan

Three Months Later

Jessica

I hurry past La Madeleine and head to Café Pouchkine to meet Esmee for brunch. I have surprised myself at how fast I learned the street signs and learned to navigate my way around the city. I have Oscar and our long walks to thank for that. Since Alex was mostly on the road, and Esmee spent much of her time travelling with her boyfriend, Oscar took on the task of being my friend, my city guide and my therapist.

I walk into the Café and take a look around. Esmee loves this restaurant, so I have been here a few times. But I still can't seem to get used to how beautiful it is. I always feel like I have stepped into a royal ballroom when I walk in here.

I spot Esmee in one of the corner tables with a newspaper stretched on the table before her. She has pulled her hair back into a sleek top bun the way only a ballerina can, and her white blouse looks freshly steamed and crisp.

"Bonjour, Mademoiselle." I say in the best French accent I can muster as I slide into the seat.

"Jess! Bein le bounjour!" She says cheerfully, putting the newspaper aside. And I smile at the way she pronounces my name with a heavy Je.

"How I have missed you!" She says.

"You saw me three days ago." I point out with a chuckle.

She brushes me off and orders Coffee and Scones.

"Where is his royal highness?" I ask once the waiter leaves.

After what Oscar told me about her boyfriend, I had expected to meet some self-absorbed jerk with absolutely no sense of humor.  But Adrien was far from it. He charmed me from the moment I met him at the beginning of summer and thanks to his refined test, we've dined at some of the most luxurious restaurants in Paris. It annoyed Oscar that I approved of "the duke" as he calls him. But I saw no reason not to. He was polite and treated Esmee like a queen. Leave it to brothers to think no guy is ever good enough for you.

"He went to Monaco last night." She sighs.

"Oh!" I nod in understanding. "So that's why you called me in the middle of the night and asked me out for brunch." I look pointedly at her.

"Non! I have good news. Vraiment une bonne nouvelle!"

I look at her with piqued interest. I can't remember the last time I saw her this excited.

"Well, what is it?"

She takes in a deep breath and looks at me with sparkling baby-blue eyes.

"I made the cut! I'm going to be in the play."