Prologue

Jessica

Jessica

I check the time and sigh. It's only been two minutes since I last glanced at my watch. I am so impatient to get off the plane that all I seem to be doing is counting down the seconds. The grumpy French man next to me seems unsatisfied with everything that has to do with the Aircraft. And the poor flight attendant has to smile and be kind while he complains about the food, about the AC, about the small turbulence, about not being able to stretch his legs. And his jitters are giving me anxiety. Every time I close my eyes to dose off, he starts yelling about something in rapid French.

When the Captain turns on the seatbelt sign and announces we will be landing soon, it's completely dark outside. The moment the plane starts its descent, I feel a wave of unease sweep over me. I think it's finally starting to hit me. I am miles away from home and everyone I love.

***

My heart drums when I stand at the baggage claim, looking around at the people doing the same. I briefly wonder what has brought each of them here. Are they here for business? For leisure? To see a family? Do they live here? Are any of them escaping a past they can't stand to remember?

A woman taps my shoulder and asks me a question in French that I don't understand.

"Je ne comprends pas. Sorry, my French isn't good."

"Oh, of course. Another American!" She huffs with clear contempt. "Never mind."

The moment she walks away, someone hits me with a suitcase from behind, knocking me aside.

"Oh, I am so sorry." The girl says with fright. "I am.... wait... uh... je suis desole. Je... uh..."

I laugh despite myself.

"I speak English. It's okay."

"Oh, thank God!" She says, relieved. "This woman asked about something in French and got so offended when I couldn't answer her. Can you believe it?" She says incredulously. "Excuse me for being American!"

I chuckle. I think we spoke to the same woman.

The girl has long brown hair lying on her back in a braid, and her bright blue eyes stand out against her summer tan. She is wearing a long olive green summer dress and white knitted cardigan that looks too big on her slim figure.

Something about her reminds me of Steff, which instantly makes me feel homesick.

"I'm Marlow, by the way." She extends her hand. "You are?"

"Jessica." I shake her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise. Hey!" She points behind me. "Is that ginormous purple luggage by any chance yours? Because it's about to be taken by Airport security."

"What?"

I turn around and rush to my luggage. The heavily accented men scold me for waiting too long to claim it, and I apologize, grabbing it.