I opened my mouth ready to finish with this conversation until something hit me, something very important actually: today was my date with Josh and never in life would I cancel the date of my dreams for a project with the stupid Lucas.

—I'm sorry, I can't today.

—What do you mean you can't? —he frowned.

—It means I can't, Huckleberry —I remarked harshly—. I already have plans.

—Maya, you just said this project is important, what could be more important than it?

I looked away. One more time, this couldn't be happening. I knew my date with Josh wasn't anything bad, but I knew that after snapping on Lucas for thinking that something was going on between the two of us, I'd look like a liar.

—I already told you I have plans, Huckleberry, I don't need to give you an explanation.

—We are in this together so yeah, I think I deserve an explanation as to why we will be failing this assignment because apparently you have something more important to do than...

—I have a date! Happy?

I snapped, tired of his attitude. I knew Lucas wasn't going to give up until I told him what I was doing tonight, and I knew I could easily lie to him but I didn't feel like it. Why was I supposed to hide my happiness from him?

—A date? —he inquired, raising his brows—. With who? With him, right?

—It's non of your business.

He laughed in a mocking way—. I know, I just... I can't believe I believed you.

—I didn't lie to you —I shook my head—. I told him the same I told you: I'm alone. Josh wasn't immature as you and he...

—Wait, wait... —he interrupted me, frowning again—. Josh?

—Why you look surprise? You told me you knew with who.

—I meant Zay, you know, after your little date to the movies.

Oh no.

I opened my mouth gasping for air. I didn't care if Lucas thought me and Zay were dating or something, I honestly didn't care if he thought I was dating someone at all. I just didn't want him to know that Josh was my date because, such as he said, that seemed like I lied to him and now, for being idiot, he thought that.

—I suppose the word "alone" doesn't mean the same to you as it means to me —he sighed—. Enjoy your date and when you are ready to do the project, call me.

He added and without any hesitation, walked away from me, leaving me completely alone on the hallway.

Nice, just what I needed, that Lucas thought he was right all this time, but, you know what? I didn't care. If he thought that then so be it. In a couple of hours I was having the date of my dreams with the guy of my dreams and there was nothing or nobody who could ever ruin that.

•••

I sighed as I took a last look of myself on the mirror confirming that I was ready, and I turned, looking for my mom's approval.

—So... what do you think?

—You are perfect, baby girl.

She smiled with such joy on her eyes that inevitably, made me smile. I never thought I would need my mom's approval as much as I did now, but this moment was so important in my life that I wanted no one else to share it with but her, her and of course...