Fantastic Voyage

Violet's POV

The previous few days had been a whirlwind, lots had happened and I finally got my life back in order. After what happened in London, the group dynamics had changed slightly, creating a rather strange atmosphere amongst the group. David seemed to be keeping himself to himself a little bit more and he was spending more time with his guitar than previous, we all just let him do his thing. After all, we were all here because of him and for him.

Today we had a day off as we head down to NY from Massachusetts. We were all now going to be shipped about in tour buses which I wasn't particularly looking forward to. The buses were absolutely massive, they were literally great massive houses with wheels. I'd be lying though if I said I wasn't at least a tad excited. This was my dream as a teenager, now it was for real. Bus number one slept David and the band, bus number two slept me, and half of the crew, bus three slept the other half of the crew and then there was a truck carrying all of the necessary equipment. It must've taken so much coordinating to get everyone and everything from A to B all the time.

"I don't know why they put you in here Violet? Won't you be sneaking off to David all the time?" Rick commented as we got ourselves settled into our bunks. I rolled my eyes and sighed. Rumors were starting to spread fast.
"We're not a couple you know, I'm staying completely professional" I explain, putting away my things and drawing the curtain on the bunk.
"Yeah ok" Francine chuckles, mirroring my actions.  We had decided that us girls should be at one end of the gangway with the blokes on the other so it would make privacy issues easier.
"No honestly, I'm trying to stay out of trouble with that one" I sigh heading towards the seating area at the front of the bus. Francine follows after me.
"What happened with you guys the other night by the way? I heard he went mental" she queried, sitting opposite me in the small lounge area.
"Vince tried to get me to take some coke and David saw which proper pissed him off. Then at the end Louisa tried to get him to go to bed and Vince tried to help but he set him off even more" I rambled on, trying to simplify it all.
"Damn" Francine widened her eyes, "that's some sensitive stuff that".
"Yeah, then he asked me to stay over with him that night" I threw that out, knowing Francine would jump on it.
"And? Did you?" Her eyes widened again.
"Mmm hmm" I nodded, grinning like a Cheshire Cat and Francine's mouth dropped.
"Did you? Vi! Why didn't you tell me sooner!" Francine rushed excitedly.
"I stayed with him yeah, but nothing happened, we both passed out. I haven't seen you, we've been busy" I reasoned.
"So what are you two, like a fling or do you reckon he's like proper interested?" She questioned.
"I don't know, I'm just seeing how things go, trying not to get attached and all that" I explained, feeling a bit overwhelmed at the thought of being involved with David Bowie. The bus hummed along as we hurtled down the highway, Francine and I busy discussing men and dating on the road, particularly David and I potentially dating on the road. Francine, being a couple years older than me, was like a sister to me. She warned me to be cautious of David, after all she had seen how he handled previous encounters with women. Before it got too late we headed into our bunks to try and get some sleep. The men had already retreated so it was rather quiet and settled.

Getting some sleep was easier said than done. The ride was smoother than I expected but it was still rather wobbly and hard to get used to. I think I managed to get an hour or so's nap at around 2am then tried again to get a bit more but that didn't happen. At around 4am we pulled into a service station. I utilized this and got out to get some fresh air.

We were out in the middle of nowhere as it seemed. It was eerily quiet and so calming. I sat on the curb, savoring deep soothing breaths of the cool air.
"What you doing up?" I heard a familiar voice come from beside me, pulling me out of my trance. I looked to find David sauntering towards me, a cigarette already between his lips.
"Could say the same about you" I replied, watching as he came to sit beside me.
"Couldn't sleep, needed some air and a cigarette" he shrugged, resting his elbows on his knees and turning his head to face me.
"I couldn't sleep either" I admitted, noticing his tired eyes.
"You'll get used to it" he gave a halfhearted smile, taking a deep drag on his cigarette, "want a drag?" He offered. I politely declined.
"It's so calm and quiet" I sighed, taking in the air.
"It is, it's the only time you can really get some peace and quiet" he added.
"Yeah, I don't know how I imagined touring life to be but this wasn't exactly it" I announced, turning my attention back to him. He smiled softly in return.
"I forget that your new to this" he took a final drag on his cigarette before butting it out. I nodded, feeling slightly uneasy being the focus of attention.
"Is that a compliment?" I pondered, unsure of his point.
"Yes. You're quietly confident and you know your stuff. You're not one of those who gets all giddy and annoying yet you're not one of those who think they're too cool for school and all that shit" he began to ramble, I could feel my cheeks flushing. "I like it" he finished, almost taking my breath away with his words.
"Well you're not how I imagined you would be. You're just normal and I like you as just David" I eventually found the words I wanted to say. I saw David awkwardly glance at the floor before back at me and grinning.
"Normal?!" He laughed.
"Well you know" I chuckled knowing full well David wasn't normal but we know what I meant, "and I like it" I added, watching his reaction.
"Aww my darling, you are lovely" he threw an arm over me shoulders and pulled me into his side. I stayed cuddled into him for a moment or so, enjoying the warmth and his presence. He glanced over me to look at his watch. "Want to come back to my bus?" He pondered.
"Yeah?" I figured I would at least have his company if I still couldn't sleep.
"There's a bit more space in mine, I also have snacks" he squeezed me before standing himself up, offering me his hand.
"Well then, I like snacks" I giggled, taking hold of his veiny, hand. I followed him into his bus and there definitely was more space. His bunk was much more spacious than mine. We settled down in the lounge area, there was some news program on the TV in the background but we didn't pay much attention to it. David brought out some Doritos and a blanket.
"No one really comes down here" he announced, getting comfy beside me.
"Oh good" I reply, leaning back into the sofa. David pulled me into him again and I blushed, I liked the closeness, he was comforting.
"You make a great snuggle buddy" he said, sounding like a cringey teenager.
"Did you just say snuggle buddy?" I scoffed, trying to hold back my laughter.
"Yes I did!" He tried his best to keep a serious face, making me laugh even more.
"Okkk!" I burst into laughter and so did he. We continued to chat and joke about, watching out the window as the dark sky slowly became lighter and lighter.