Chapter 4: Promises

Renae, Venus and Goliath walk to the entrance of the castle, where Elisa was slightly pacing about. When the woman sees the young girl, a smile of relief appeared on her face. "Renae!" she said, running over to her and hugging her. "Elisa!" Renae said, returning the hug. After a brief, silent moment, Elisa breaks the hug and looks at her, her hands on her shoulders. "Are you alright? Goliath told me what happened and I came as soon as I could" she said to her. "Wait, you know him? Along with the other gargoyles?" the young girl asked, very surprised. Elisa looks at her and said "yes, I've known them for quite a while. I was planning on telling you about them, but only when the time was right". Renae sighs a bit, but she looks back up at her foster mother with a kind expression. "Well, I'll admit, I am a bit surprised, but they do seem like very nice people, and they haven't done any harm to anyone, as far as I know" she said. Elisa lets out a sigh of relief, happy to hear her say that. "I'm glad you think that. Are you sure you're alright?" she said, placing her hands back on her shoulders. "Yes, I'm alright. Me and Venus are not hurt" the young girl said. The Doberman standing next to her barks in agreement, her tail wagging happily at the detective. Elisa chuckles and pets the dog's head.  She looks back at Renae and said "lets head on home, kiddo, so that you can rest a little more". Renae nods her head and turns to the lavender gargoyle. "It was nice meeting you, Goliath. I'm sorry for running off before" she said, apologizing to him. "It is alright, you were only concerned for your friend here" he said, gesturing to Venus. Renae gives him a small smile and scratches her dog behind the ears. With that being said and done, Elisa, Renae and Venus walk out through the doors and down to the elevator.

When they got back down and into the car, Renae looks at Elisa and said "Elisa, can I ask you something?" "Sure, Renae, what is it?" the woman said, turning her attention to the young girl. "Well, what I'm wondering is...how come you've never told me about them before? I would've handled it, you know" she said. "I know you would've, and I do trust you. That is why you can't tell anyone about them" Elisa said to her. "Why?" Renae asks. "Let's just say that there are some humans that are after them, that want them destroyed. So, that's why we need to be very careful. Promise me that you won't tell anyone about them, okay?" she explains. Renae hears the seriousness in her voice, knowing that this is very important. She didn't really have a whole lot of friends, so there was no worry for telling anyone. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone" she said to her. Elisa smiles at the young girl before driving off into night back to their home.